iPhone 8 Plus vs. iPhone 7 Plus: Every New Feature Compared

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Good summary. Anyone know if the 8 supports wireless fast charge? Obviously it won't be as fast as the wired fast charge, but I'm trying to find out if it's using the newer wireless charging spec.

2. jdawgnoonan macrumors regular

jdawgnoonan

That is the problem with sites like this one and iMore, they essentially provide native advertising to the fans of the products that they cover. Android Central and Windows Central are also similar for Android and Windows. I think that The Verge and Ars Technica do a pretty good job of providing legitimate information. I do not go to fan sites (like this one) for real unbiased reviews. That said, this site, I think, is far more objective than iMore as this site focuses on rumors and iMore focuses on lavishing praise on everything that Apple does.

3. dino12 macrumors member

But will the iPhone X be able to verify your face through sunglasses? They did say glasses but not sunglasses.

4. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

So what will Bluetooth 5.0 mean practically speaking? I've been waiting for aptX support, but doesn't look like that is coming, so I doubt I'll notice any difference between them for now, since I don't use any BT devices other than my watch and a DAC that doesn't support BT 5.0.

5. Zelion macrumors newbie

I hear man. I've been feelling the same way. Even worse is the fact that they've conditioned us to be ok with trading in yearly to upgrade. That's basically $50/mo ($600 yearly)- And you still don't own your phone! I've jumped off the "You must upgrade every year train." Good to see I am not alone. But yeah man I'm with ya.... keep your phone. My 6S+ is just fine. Bought it straight cash - to hell with monthly payments.

6. Nozuka macrumors 65816

don't think so. since you can't unlock the phone when your eyes are closed.

7. now i see it macrumors 65816

Getting fatter & heavier:

iPhone 6 Plus
    Weight: 6.07 oz,
    Thickness: 6.9 mm

iPhone 8 Plus
    Weight: 7.13 oz
    Thickness: 7.5 mm

8. 78Bandit, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

78Bandit macrumors regular

The A11 is a nice improvement over the A10 and wireless charging will be beneficial for some people. While any naming convention is arbitrary I'm not convinced this is enough improvement to keep from calling it the 7S. Processor bumps are expected every year and the debut of the revolutionary 64 bit A7 occurred with the 5S. Also, the transitions from 720p to 1080p and from 1080p to 4K video were both made during an "S" year so the jump from 30FPS to 60FPS doesn't seem any more revolutionary.

Overall, when you look at the design leaps from the 3GS to the 4 (retina display, flat glass back), the 4S to the 5 (16:9 screen, gorgeous beveled aluminum case), and the 5S to the 6 (4.7" & 5.5" screens), this doesn't really feel like a generational upgrade. I think the original rumor of calling this phone the 7S and the new designed phone the iPhone 8 would have made more sense. That would have emphasized the generational increment the new phone represents.

Unless you need the 60FPS video or wireless charging it seems like the 7 Plus is a better value than the 8 Plus. I would look for either to be equally as good for at least three years by which time the new design that debuted with the X is on all their new models and the LCD models are relegated to the past.

9. GhostRaider macrumors 6502

It's not worth upgrading from iPhone 7 Plus to iPhone 8 Plus. From iPhone 7 Plus to iPhone X maybe. Otherwise save your money for next year's iPhone 9 Plus or whatever they'll call it.

The processing power never gets fully utilized. iPhone 7's A10 Fusion still hasn't been fully utilized. Battery life is the same. Bluetooth 5.0 is not used in currently marketed devices. Wireless charging, well I never needed it. Design wise, well I always put a case on my phone so I never look at it anyways.

10. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Is it safe to say the X is actually an iPhone Pro?

11. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

Particularly since the incremental updates since the 6 have been minimal vs. the cost. Every year, they add something something small (slightly better camera, slightly faster processor) or trivial (live photos, 3d touch, and now animated emojis). Yes the tech is more advanced, but there is very little advancement with respect to utility. Those upgrade programs looked great back in the 4-6 years, when real changes were made from version to version. Now, it's simply not worth it.

Because they hold their value relatively well, the best way to iPhone is to save cash, buy large and sell on the secondary market when you're ready to upgrade.

12. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

Apple is also signaling the new pricing tier that we will have to acclimate too when metal backs are discontinued.

13. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The 8 doesn't look like a 'considerable' upgrade at all. Apple have pushed out the 8 with the least effort. It's perfectly clear they've spend the majority of time developing the X.

14. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

What! There's no way this is a considerable upgrade over 7 Plus. They are almost the exact same phone. All devices this year.. yes even the iPhone X are minor upgrades. There's zero applications pushing the last couple generations to the edge. The only resource hog is the system itself, which is very much in need of a full redesign! With the home button being retired, one can only hope next year is when IOS gets taken seriously. They need power user settings, enough with the hand holding! Their user base grew up, time for the system to grow up too, the bandades method is really starting to show.

15. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

16. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

I can't believe Apple really blew it in their timing to release the iPhone X.
    This year's phone should have been called the iPhone X and last year should've been the iPhone 9 and they should have skipped all those "S" model naming schemes.
    Next year are they going to release an iPhone 9? Or will all the metal back iPhones be discontinued next year?

17. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Why do I have some AAPL? Maybe I should just sell now while I'm up and put that money into something else...

18. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

That was my route when it first released, no regrets it's a great little phone.

19. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

I noticed that when dictating, Siri automatically places an "X" when saying iPhone ten. Maybe we can figure out what the next product will be called by saying something like iPhone 11. Nope, it didn't work, it didn't put "XI" after the word iPhone.

20. JRobinsonJr macrumors regular

True, but does this really solve the issue? As I understand it the Qi chargers are no better than (and likely less efficient than) the 5V/1.0a USB charger. To really take advantage of the fast charge you need a 29W+ adapter with USB-C connectors... and that will cost you $75-$100.

21. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Yep great phone.

22. ng-design macrumors member

ng-design

Tech journalists seem to keep forgetting a key market of iPhone users: consumers who upgrade every 2 years with their cell carrier.

The last phone I bought was the 6S Plus in September 2015. I'm finally eligible for an upgrade and I've been counting the days. Like millions of other people, I bought the baseline 16GB model because it was the most affordable at the time.

So take a minute and think about how huge this upgrade is. People like me are going from a 16GB baseline model to a 64GB baseline, for just a little bit more than we paid for the 6S Plus two years ago.

People can grumble all they want about how the 8 is a "mediocre" update, but for many consumers, this is a very exciting upgrade. I wish more journalists focused on the increase in storage, because it's a factor when people buy. I'm looking forward to the extra storage space, improved speed, and better camera.

23. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I'm also a launch day 6 user and I think I want the SE. I'm just waiting one more year to see if maybe they'll bring that size back.

24. JRobinsonJr macrumors regular

While I am not in any way intending to dismiss the work of the engineering teams, from my perspective none of these look like anything more than an 's' upgrade. As already noted in this thread, there isn't any new or significantly improved *UTILITY* value. Faster is good. So are better camera's and screens. Same with improved charging options. None of these will substantively change what I do with the phone or how I do it.

NOTE: I can't claim to do any better so take my comments with the proverbial grain of salt. :)

25. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Depends on your needs and circumstances. If current phone does everything you want from a phone then might as well wait for the next iteration and save money. The 8 is a solid phone but the 6S is no slouch.