iPhone 8 Plus vs. iPhone 7 Plus: Every New Feature Compared

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. mguzzi macrumors regular

After a lot of thought I decided to just upgrade from the 6S to the 7 Plus and get the Jet Black.The AT&T next 24 was affordable enough that I can just upgrade in 12 months if I want to. I couldn't justify the extra cost and I really don't need 256GB of storage. The 8 is a really nice phone but not worth the $949 price. I wish Apple would have kept more storage options, and price points on the new phones.

2. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Why is Apple so obsessed with making everything thinner and lighter? No one ever complains about their iPhone being too thick and heavy.

...until Apple releases a phone that is thicker and heavier!

3. Compote macrumors member

Compote

So the 2 new charging innovations require expensive accessories, it takes video in an improved format over one format that either phones' resolution couldn't possibly render, it has a feature that turns the screen yellow that isn't a physical feature at all but a tweak... It's heavier and thicker...

A raw processing power upgrade is all I see in this "new phone". And a price spike.

Bluetooth is fine if you use it. If Apple Watch 3 has it.

Who would be dumb/rich enough to throw away 700 dollars on such an incremental upgrade ?

And the 64GB for the price means Apple pisses all over its user base. 64 isn't nearly enough.

4. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Not a big fan of the extra weight on the 8 Plus :-(
    I have the 7 Plus and was considering getting the 8 Plus (8 can't take portrait photos, and X is too hard to manufacture so it'll take a while until I can get it here in Sweden).

They're upgrading the 32GB base model to 64GB and you think they're pissing all over its user base? LOL

5. sos47 macrumors member

sos47

i own an iPhone 6 and i will buy now a very cheap i Phone 7.
    AR, Wireless Charging, True Tone doesnt matter to me... and i love touch id

6. Karllake macrumors newbie

My bank has shown a zero risk approach to security and touchID, I doubt they will adopt faceID until it's proven, if there's a way they can opt out I'm sure they will.

7. gtg465x macrumors regular

gtg465x

"Considerable upgrade" is a stretch. Camera probably isn't noticeably better in most situations, performance probably isn't noticeably better because the 7 Plus was already extremely fast, the glass back won't be noticed by most because of their case. True tone is nice I guess, although I actually don't like my display to be yellow. I don't know how anyone could justify $800 or $900 to upgrade from a 7 Plus to an 8 Plus unless you're on iUP and it won't cost you anything extra. 7 Plus to X I can understand because it's a whole new experience.

8. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about the iPhone 8 and X and it strikes me that what Apple should have done is just made the X the new model.

Again product lines are becoming convoluted and the simplicity of what made Apple great under SJ is waning.

Lets face it the 'future of the mobile phone' as TC stated is already seen in many competing brands. This time round the iPhone X isn't a game changer. Just an expensive phone.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Silver in 64 GB for iPhone X. Will be preordering on October 27.

10. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

I get what you mean. I feel Apple could have pushed themselves more. Like I said previously should have made the X the norm not a new tiered price point.

11. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Sorry this is not a "considerable" upgrade from the iPhone 7+... seriously. It's an upgrade, sure, but not considerable.

12. drzen macrumors member

drzen

I just spent $1000 total on a Micro 4/3 camera with two lenses that takes way better photos and 4K video than the iPhone will for at least several more years unless the laws of physics somehow change. I will save some cash and get the 64GB 8 SIM-free and fully paid and keep it for two years. But yes, the rapid advancements made in mobile photography means you always have access to a great camera that works really well for many situations.

13. PickUrPoison macrumors regular

Anyone who is truly middle class can afford the 8 or the X. The difference is 10¢ an hour for a full-time worker in the US.

A lot of people will self-describe as middle class, but in reality they are not. They just don't want to think of themselves as being in the lower economic class.

14. drzen macrumors member

drzen

I have a theory, that the only reason they chose to highlight that notch both physically as well as in their marketing, is that if they had gone the Samsung design route, they would have lost out on having a distinctive look and design. And so, they actually went with an obviously inferior design choice. Because people will still buy, no questions asked!

15. Pezboy macrumors newbie

Pezboy

I don’t know why no one is mentioning the camera that lets in 80% more light. Even Apple kind of skimmed over it during the presentation. 80% more light is a huge deal to me. All flagship phones take basically perfect, yet indistinguishable pictures in good light. iPhone 7 is good enough is low light. But getting an 80% boost to low light is outstanding and is one of the main reasons I’ll iograde to it

16. scottct1 macrumors regular

scottct1

$300 more for a slightly better screen and the ability to send animated poop emojis?

No thanks.

17. Dgtlduck macrumors newbie

What about this. I have been a loyal iphone user since the 3gs. However last year i went to a S7Edge and liked theVR experience but the phone had terrible lag.

Im either going to a 7+ or 8+ but i can't justify the 256gb since the 128gb would be enough with the 7+ will the 7+ still be enough of a powerhouse for games etc for the next year? Also is about $23 difference a month for less storage

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

If don't know if you have any experience with Android so I'm not sure how much advice would be overkill. I guess my basic advice that was passed along to me that's worth passing along to you is to stick to the App Store and Samsung store and Amazon for apps. Even then, read user reviews and comments. Stick to apps from respected names. My husband has been a developer and knows how to squash all kinds of problems so he is more adventurous about downloading apps. As a result he has downloaded a few that look legit but will launch a pop up ad on you even when you're in the middle of using another app. It's almost like being infected with a virus. I've dealt with pop up ads in Apple apps too, but only when I had the app open. In Android apps sometimes run in the background and you won't even know it until something causes a noticeable problem. Like when Pokémon Go was interfering with the Samsung camera app.

If you're looking at LG, the upcoming LG V30 has a beautiful design and specs. From what I know of reading about it, LG lags in customer service, support, and providing updates. They demonstrate a desire to learn and upgrade their products and services so we may see an improvement with the release of the V30 but it's still an unknown quantity. The V30 is expected to cater to and excel in video recording, with advanced stereo audio options as well as prosumer level camera control and features. Still photos may not be quite as good as offered by Samsung and Apple, but they offer a very unique wide angle camera in their dual camera system that takes great landscape photos. I have heard their selfie camera is weak.

The release of the LG V6 was marred by ridiculous regional differences that favored the Asian market and practically insulted the western market, especially Europe. The V30 release is not expected to repeat that mistake.

Last year's HTC 10 offered me the absolute best pure phone connectivity I've ever experienced, but was prone to overheating and teardowns reveal a lazy, poorly thought out and executed internal design. They waste internal space and make bulky phones. Their current version of Android is light and HTC permits rooting and custom roms without voiding the warranty as of last year, but double check that for this year on their site. I avoided them this year due to the reported fragility of the glass phones. They have interesting features and a reportedly good camera but they don't hold their value at all. I'd advise waiting to see what Google has them do for the Pixel line. I've not needed their customer service but their warranty has generous terms. They were good at providing updates to my unlocked phone purchased directly from them.

There is way too much for me to say about Samsung and this post is already too long. In brief, I dislike how the curved display on my S8+ causes distortions at the edges and I get too many reflections no matter how I angle the phone. Note 8 would probably be the one to get since it takes what is good about the S8+ and refines it-- or so I am reading, I do not own one. Its also more powerful and faster, I think its generous alotmemt of ram helps. It's expensive but deals can be found. Samsung customer service is a mixed bag in the USA.

I don't have many insights into the Google Pixel to offer, unfortunately.

19. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Sunglasses do not block infrared...

20. Pezboy macrumors newbie

Pezboy

He iPhone 7 Plus has benchmarks on par with every flagship phone of this year, and it is a year old! In real world use the iPhone 7 destroys all phones from this year. The iPhone 8 doubling its power is a tad silly to me, but not complaining. Yes the iPhone 7/plus will be more than enough for any task for at least 2 years.

21. JediStarWars macrumors newbie

JediStarWars

Article spends entire time showing how similar the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus are to one another and then concludes, "They are completely different!"

[​IMG]

22. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

My one experience with Android was a long time ago (in cell phone years) with the original Motorola Droid. Apple was tied to ATT and their special network whose name I've forgotten instead of 3G service. Long story short ATT was an instant no-go because of their coverage and where I lived.

Did not have good luck with either the Droid or with Google. I don't know if this is still true but you needed a Google mail account to use the internet access of the phone. Google suspended my account for some reason, and it took me a week to get it unsuspended. No reason why was ever given. After close to a year a new OS was coming out which was supposed to fix a lot of problems. When it did I couldn't install it because my phone was too old. I still had a year to pay on my contract so I put up with the problems. By the end of the year Apple announced that the ATT exclusivity was ending, and that Verizon and others would sell the phone AND it would be a 4G connection. I think that was the 4s, but I might be wrong. I've owned an iPhone since, but that's only been 2 models-the 4s and my current 6.

23. Compote macrumors member

Compote

If they hadn't done it, it would have been one less incremental upgrade to speak of.
    The iPhone 8 really couldn't afford it, seing how useless its upgrades are over the 7.
    Good news for broke iPhone 6/6S users I guess, but if the 7 didn't warrant an upgrade for them, I don't see how the 8 does.

They also downgraded all 64GB devices to 32, although the pattern in pricing suggested that 64 would have been ideal, in the event of a price drop. They do that all the time.
    They give with one hand but take with the other.

24. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

I'm talking more about next year when the X2 and (hopefully) the X2+ come out. The poster I'm replying to is insinuating that the regular iPhones will be going away next year and the X will be the only iPhone line. I doubt that Apple will be able to meet a ~60 million/quarter demand for iPhones with only the X line next year.

25. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh wow, well a lot has changed since you were on Android then. Are you looking to make a switch to Android now, and if so, why? I am by no means an expert as everyone here well knows, but if I can be of any help just ask. If I don't know something chances are I ran across an article that might help.

Oh and for Samsung, they have pretty much their own services for everything including their own browser which is good, and you can use your iCloud email account with a Samsung phone. But it is hard to avoid Google and having a Google account when using Android.