IPhone 8 Plus vs iPhone X - Direct Sunlight Readability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevroc, Oct 12, 2017.

1. kevroc macrumors 6502

I use my phone a LOT in direct sunlight, does anyone have any thoughts on whether the new display in the iPhone X will be better or worse than the 8 Plus? I know it’s all speculation at this point, but I’m not too familiar with OLED and direct sunlight but was hoping that might give some indication of performance.

Thanks!

2. shooter03 macrumors regular

shooter03

no one will be able to give you a definitive answer till the X comes out and they are side by side.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you want an indication of direct sunlight, at least in terms of comparison to an OLED display, then I would least refer you to look at a Samsung device. Until then, you won't really have a definitive answer until November 3.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

5. fs454 macrumors 68000

It won't be worse. Whether it will be better by any noticeable amount remains to be seen, but OLED displays definitely appear differently in bright light than LCDs do.

6. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

This is your best bet as Samsung is likely the supplier of the screens

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

8. kevroc thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess that's what I'm really wondering, if the iPhone OLED is comparable to the Samsung OLED, then how is the direct sunlight visibility of a Note 8? I guess I need to read some reviews to see if it's mentioned. I was hoping someone here had an 8 Plus and a Note 8 or S8 Plus and had some direct experience.

9. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

FWIW, MKBHD did note in his hands-on video that the Note 8 he was carrying had a brighter display than the iPhone X did in that bright hands-on demo area they were in.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Been awhile, but pretty sure my AMOLED Samsung phones were worse than my current iphone. YMMV

11. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

If the OLED X can only hit 625 nits even with auto brightness, it won’t be as good as the 8 Plus LCD at 625 nits that’s for sure. The Note8 can ramp up to a ridiculous 1240 nits with auto brightness enabled. The Galaxy S8 can do over 1,000.

12. oplix Suspended

oplix

Actually, aside from all the forum "experts", I can give you an answer. It will likely be exactly the same given that both screens have the exact same 650 nits brightness.

13. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

THE Nit brightness is rated the same on the 8 and X. So should be as good as the lcd.

14. XciteMePls, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

XciteMePls macrumors member

OLEDS don't get as bright as the best LED tv's (I'm talking about good quality LED tvs, like flagship models with local dimming and quantum dots)

15. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Noone except displaymate seems to be able to produce the same results though.. not sure how they measure that. Definitely not with the whole screen lit up.

16. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

It comes down to how bright the screen gets. Samsung phones in the past didn't do so well in the sunlight because the max brightness was low.

But with the current galaxy s8 and note 8 the screen gets brighter than even the iPhone now.

I have no issues reading is direct sunlight with my galaxy s8.

17. bobinbahia macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    Between the 8 Plus and the 8 X it comes down to more than BRIGHTNESS. BRIGHTNESS is the SAME for both (625).

What about CONTRAST? The 8+ has 1300:1. The 8X has 1,000,000:1. Since brightness is the SAME, the question is:

How much difference, roughly, will 8X the CONTRAST make to outdoor display legibility? Certainly it can make some difference. Question is, is it SIGNIFICANT or not for outdoor, full sun reading?

18. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

Now it's out. No one compared X/OLED with other iPhone in direct sunlight?

19. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Face ID doesn't work in bright direct sunlight, so they couldn't do the test.

20. Mornnb macrumors newbie

I own both. 8 Plus is more readable. But no display looks very good in sunlight.