Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Anyone here have an iPhone 8 Plus prior to moving onto an iPhone X/Xs? I'm curious as to how much the battery life of the OLED panel iPhones has increased with Dark Mode. This article from 2018 shows that the 8 Plus was still beating the XS but I'm curious as to how much of a difference Dark Mode has made. The 8 Plus is currently $450 $550 and I wonder if it's worth spending nearly twice that for an Xs. Thanks

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I have the Xs Max and honestly, I have seen almost no difference with dark mode. My battery has stayed the same. In theory, it should give you like 1-2 hours more, there even was a recent video comparison that confirms it.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Battery life may not increase too much (though it should in theory) I prefer the aesthetic of dark mode

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I have the Xs Max and honestly, I have seen almost no difference with dark mode. My battery has stayed the same. In theory, it should give you like 1-2 hours more, there even was a recent video comparison that confirms it.

I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube and it looks like when using apps that have Dark Mode, battery life is better by about 20%. The apps I use most are WhatsApp, Mail and Google Maps - I'm not sure if they're all available in Dark Mode. But as you said, in real-world usage, it seems negligible. I wonder if this means the extra pixels in the X/Xs mitigate the power savings from OLED panel.

Last edited:

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Two Xs Max iPhones here. Quite a substantial difference!

From DisplayMate, “An additional bonus is that switching to a Black Background will in most cases significantly reduce the battery power used by the OLED display. For example, for the Calendar application, at the Maximum Brightness setting, switching to the Dark Mode from the Light Mode reduces the Display Power from 4.2 watts down to 0.2 watts, which will significantly increase the Running Time on Battery.”

For reference an LCD iPhone 6 Plus with a white background consumes 1.52 watts @ 566 nits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.