iPhone 8 - Purchase with Apple iPhone Payments?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlphaGuitarist, Aug 15, 2017.

1. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I posted this question in another thread, but didn't get a response, so I thought I'd create a separate thread for it.

Prior to buying my 6s Plus, I used AT&T Next. I opted for the BarclaysCard financing when I got the 6s Plus and completely paid the phone off within the 12 month promotional period. I've noticed that Apple also has an Apple iPhone Payments option on its website, which appears similar to the AIUP, but doesn't have the annual upgrade and excludes AppleCare+. When opting for this payment method, you receive an unlocked iPhone with either your carrier's SIM card, or no SIM card at all.

Since Apple usually waits a couple of months after the release date to make unlocked models available for purchase, does anyone know if the Apple iPhone Payments was available on release dates during the previous iPhone cycles? I am not really interested in paying extra for AppleCare+, nor do I want to have my phone payment tied to AT&T. If worst comes to worst, I'll use the BarclayCard financing, but I'd prefer to have the payments broken into 24 months, instead of 12.

Attached Files:

2. Matthewserta macrumors newbie

Matthewserta

It's hard to speculate what Apple might do. As they don't usually give out their plans until their already in action. Based on previous orders and pre orders my guess is you are going to be waiting a while if you intend to use their payment program.

Also if you care much about your credit, you can have a far less impact if you just financed through either the card you already have, or AT&T.

I use the AT&T 24 month program so I can upgrade every 12 months.. it's sort of a win win.

3. AlphaGuitarist thread starter macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I guess I'll opt for the BarclaysCard financing. The main reasons why I don't want to finance through AT&T are that I don't want to liable for paying off the balance in one shot if I decide to leave and that I'm a Premier subscriber (I get corporate discount through my employer) and there was a well-publicized issue of AT&T messing up Premier subscribers' orders when the iPhone 6 was released, pushing them several months back.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This was exactly what I predicted a few years ago in a post, that iPhones, would be no different from cars and homes, where some are forced to finance, for the affordability of it.

I'll be purchasing a MacBook Pro and an iPhone Pro/8, but to afford both (without feeling 1'm spending way too much), I have to downgrade the MBPtb 15" to a 13" non-tb. It's $3600 versus $2700 if the iPhone Pro/8 sells for $1200.

5. AlphaGuitarist thread starter macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I will be keeping the iPhone 8 for at least two years, mainly because of the rumored pricing. I've had my 6s Plus since February 2016 and, while it's still in perfect condition and functions as intended, I feel that the iPhone 8 will be a worthwhile upgrade. I completely agree, though - I remember the days (just a few short years ago) when $600 got you a top of the line device. If you're into Android, a high end device can still be had for that amount, sometimes even less (HTC U11, OnePlus 5), but Apple and Samsung are going a bit overboard with the pricing. I still think the the iPhone 8 will start under $1,000.

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

At least Samsung comes down on the pricing, you can get a brand new unlocked S8 for $575 or S8+ for $675 now.

7. AlphaGuitarist thread starter macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

This is true. $575 is actually an excellent price for a flagship phone that's been out for just 4 months. However, iPhones are known for holding their value. After upgrading, I typically resell my previous phone to help mitigate the cost of the upgrade.

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Yeah it's good for buyers but awful for sellers.