iPhone 8 RAW vs JPEG image quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ccglows, Sep 28, 2017.

1. ccglows macrumors member

Could someone with an iPhone 8 kindly show some examples of RAW vs JPEG image quality? Particularly showing examples of dynamic range and editing ability.

I'm looking to get an iPhone X which will most likely have the same sensor, so I'm assuming images will look the same. I'm not a fan of the default Camera app's image processing as it has the smudgy watercolor effect from aggressive noise reduction and crushes blacks/shadows too much.

Last year there were impressive examples of RAW vs JPEG on the iPhone 7 but I'd like to see some more photos with the new sensor.

Here's an example from last year's iPhone 7:
    [​IMG]

2. ccglows thread starter macrumors member

I understand, I'm intertested in:

- Seeing the same edit filter applied to both JPEG and RAW (see how each fare in regards to detail preservation)
    - Seeing edited RAWs vs standard JPEGs

In regards to the second, given the vast majority of edited RAW files look significantly better than standard JPEGs from the camera app, it's interesting that Apple hasn't improved the native image processing to look more like an edited RAW, since the sensor is clearly capable of producing such nice images?

3. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Very much agree. Do you have a preferred Camera app for taking RAW images with iPhone?

4. ccglows thread starter macrumors member

I've never owned one before so I'm not sure (will be my first time).

From what I've read though, Camera+, VSCO and Lightroom Mobile all have RAW editing capabilities

5. fred98tj macrumors 6502

6. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I’ve enjoyed shooting raw and editing in affinity photo for ipad (seriously best $20 I’ve ever spent on editing software. It does everything I used to do on photoshop.

7. macTW Suspended

I’m new to the editing. Besides playing with settings until it looks nice, how do you know what to do to the raw?

And is Lightroom the app to use?

8. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Probably easiest is to goggle search on mobile Lightroom. There is a lot to it.
    It also has a built in camera app that takes really really good HDR photos.
    LR is what a lot of pros use for years. It has a learning curve for sure.
    You could also try SnapSeed.

9. ccglows thread starter macrumors member

The general idea of RAW is to process it by boosting shadows/blacks, and dropping highlights/whites without losing quality. This alone vastly improves most photographs. The default dynamic range appearance of photos (as mapped for screens?) looks too contrasty compared to what our eyes naturally see.

Apart from that, you can alter the colors/apply LUTs to give it a specific feel.

In my opinion the two most important post-processing steps is dynamic range + color. Everything else is just a bonus on top of the original shot's lighting, subject, composition, etc.

[​IMG]

This is an example of a photo with high dynamic range and by default most camera sensors (especially a smartphone's) would struggle to capture all of the highlights and the shadows (such as the bushes to the left), making it look really contrasty and "cheap" looking. By capturing all the detail at once, the result looks stunning.

This is likely what the native app would capture, as a comparison.

[​IMG]

10. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

You can’t use portrait mode though with any other camera app to my knowledge so that stops me from using it.

11. Irock619, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

RAW vs JPG has nothing to do with image quality but has everything to do with post processing ability. Shooting RAW gives you more data to play with during post. Image quality and DR depend on the sensor and lens.

Haven’t really tested RAW on my 8+ but here’s a couple from my 7+. You can see the how much editing power shooting RAW gives you.

F85D97AB-D759-4D24-AAB8-6C8D3486D41F.jpeg 1424FB73-87A4-42E4-9EFE-0BA2A4351F4D.jpeg

12. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

This is interesting. So basically raw is to edit after not that an app lets you by default take better pics then the stock camera app is that right

13. ccglows thread starter macrumors member

Well it depends how you define "quality". Resolution? Dynamic range? Color reproduction? Noiselessness?

In the case of a RAW image, I think the standard noise creates a higher quality, more detailed image over the noise-reduced JPEGs of the camera app (looks quite bad when zoomed in). And you can bump up the shadows and reduce the highlights while retaining better image quality over a standard JPEG. It's also not compressed in any way. So in those ways, RAW does have better image quality.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Basically RAW provides more data to manipulate in post processing. When you look at the file size of an image, RAW vs JPG the size is substantially smaller in JPG. That's because the processor is compressing the image (easier to email and share) and applying filters like saturation, whites, blacks, highlights, shadows, etc...

Serious photographers don't want their camera's applying any type of editing. That's why they shoot using manual camera settings and in RAW format. RAW gives you a full size, uncompressed image that has more data to be manipulated. Unfortunately we have to rely on 3rd party apps to get RAW images on an iPhone.

15. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

That's really impressive. I love how, with the RAW images, you don't get the ridiculously overly-noise-reduced photos that Apple seems to love so much. I'd rather have SOME grain, rather than nearly none at the expense of my photo looking like a watercolor painting. At least with the RAW images, you get to dictate how much noise reduction to add in post.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    I think you're on the right track. A raw image is essentially sensor data.

A JPEG image is an IMAGE file that your phone creates/compresses from the RAW data. In addition, the JPEGs that your phone saves typically has some noise reduction/minor edits automatically applied to it already.

Does that make sense?

16. Irock619, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Yes pretty much, which RAW vs JPEG has no affect on those elements. IQ depends on the sensor, lens, and of course the photographer regarding composition etc..

Not better IQ but more image processing ability. There are 3 steps to photography....taking the shot with good equipment to achieve good image quality, Post processing (this is where you need the full, uncompressed image) then printing/framing.

If youre somebody who just takes photos to share on social media then JPEG is for you and IQ is not really important. It’s great that cell phones are capturing better images every year, but they will never be as good as my Canon 80D or a Canon 5D MK3 etc...

17. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Yes. What's a good app

18. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619