iPhone 8 screen issue

HighFlyingBirds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Question for anyone with an iPhone 8.
When you run your finger from the screen over the side towards the sim card tray, does your phone feel flush and smooth like your finger is rolling round towards the back in one continuous movement or does it feel like there is a lip almost like a square angle and your finger is travelling down a step?
It almost feels like the screen is lifting up a little bit on the right hand side above the SIM card tray.

aniss.kais

Suspended
Sep 25, 2017
When you run your finger from the screen over the side towards the sim card tray, does your phone feel flush and smooth like your finger is rolling round towards the back in one continuous movement or does it feel like there is a lip almost like a square angle and your finger is travelling down a step?
It almost feels like the screen is lifting up a little bit on the right hand side above the SIM card tray.
this is scary. I have the 8+ and for now it is absolutely smooth on the edge, but I'm afraid with multiple charges, the battery inflates and make it look like the ones in taiwan an japan with all the screen going off the body

HighFlyingBirds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
this is scary. I have the 8+ and for now it is absolutely smooth on the edge, but I'm afraid with multiple charges, the battery inflates and make it look like the ones in taiwan an japan with all the screen going off the body
This is exactly what Im worried about.
Hopefully I can get it swapped for another one.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
If you are concerned I would definitely encourage you to contact Apple or your carrier if you bought it through them. I had an issue with a dark shadow on my day one 8’s screen. Apple chat was great but t mobile even better. They just did an exchange and gave me a new one and I was good to go.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I'm not sure if you can post a picture or not. Otherwise, I would make a Genius appointment to have it inspected.

HighFlyingBirds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I spoke to Apple Chat last night, who confirmed that the phone should be smooth all the way round.
They have said in the first instance I should take it back to where I purchased it, which is O2 in the uk, to have it replaced, if there are any problems, I’ve to take it back to them.
The concerning thing is, although it might just be my imagination, I think it’s worse this morning after being charged last night!!

HighFlyingBirds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Got the phone swapped out at O2.
The sales reps were very surprised to see an iPhone 8 being returned!!
New one doesn’t have the issue so far. I’ll keep my fingers crossed it was just 1 faulty unit!

HighFlyingBirds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011

adott

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017

I just noticed this same issue on my 8+. A thread on reddit said it was normal. However it bugs the crap out of me. My dilemma is that I already exchanged one 8+ because of a spot on the inside of the camera glass. Oh well. Back to the store.