iPhone 8 short range wireless charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, May 26, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

i was reading on a site that said the iPhone 8 won't have wireless charging like the galaxy s8 or the Apple Watch. That it will have the short range wireless charging that Apple had been working on since last autumn. Anyone really think we will have real wireless charging?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

There's always a wire somewhere. It's just how close do you have to be to it. I don't think the tech you are describing is anywhere near ready otherwise my Sonicare toothbrush would be charged all the time! (They seem to be leading the wireless charging revolution lol)

3. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

There will be plenty of third party solutions with charging cases.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

There's not going to be wireless charging that lets you use your phone while it's charging, especially feet away from the charger. Maybe years down the road, but not this fall.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Obviously not,the existing technology only allows a charging plate to rest the phone on while charging,the type of distant charging some people are looking for,would if it should have power enough to work cause large fields of electromagnetic radiation similar to what's used in microwave ovens. The difference is,that the radiation from the oven is shielded so it won't affect anyone,holding and talking in a phone while charging this way could cause serious and even lethal injury.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

To me, even if their was some form of wireless charging, it has its limitations until we see long range wireless charging. Even wireless charging at the moment, isn't that much of an advantage. You still have to set your Phone on a pad/dock that requires direct placement. I personally don't see a huge advantage over using a cable to charge my iPhone.

Long range wireless charging will eventually be here, but like you said, it's years out. At that point, it should be rather promising.

Energous is a company working on long range charging in the home and wireless charging in your vehicle.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/04/energous-wireless-charging-2017/amp/

7. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

It was proven that wireless charging will generate much more heat in the batt/unit. I don't know if that would degrade the batt faster with more heat, bc heat isn't good either, if plugging your charging wire is too humbug, haha i know it is for some, you can buy the magnetic adapter that you attached to the usb cable and the magnetic add on adapter will attached to your phone without any effort. Just place it close enough and it will attach by it self. I saw this on an ad video but I haven't bought it myself.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not know if I want to be in the same room with something that charges my phone from 15 feet away. I will just plug it in or set it on a charging matt instead.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

You didn't want any more kids, anyway.

10. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never said 15 feet away I said short range. Maybe 2-3 feet away.