mcl82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Houston, TX
has anyone seen any initial hands on reviews that comment on whether the iPhone 8 is slippery with the new glass back? I use an iPhone 7 jet black without a case and it's not too slippery for me (much less so than the other colours). Has anyone yet commented on whether the 8 seems better or worse than the 7 in terms of grip without a case?
Thanks.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The glass back should provide great stiction. Still dropping will be hard on the glass, does not matter how hard Apple says it is. If scratch resistant, it going to shatter.

Yep.
Impact resistant = scratches easily
Scratch resistant = shatters easily

Reactions: Kettil

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
Unlike the jet black on the 7, aluminum remains on the sides of the 8. Not sure if that makes the grip worse or better considering we grip the sides when holding the phone.

I wonder which iphone will offer better grip, the jet black 7 (glass sides), 8 (aluminum sides), or X (stainless steel sides).

leahye19

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Chicago
has anyone seen any initial hands on reviews that comment on whether the iPhone 8 is slippery with the new glass back? I use an iPhone 7 jet black without a case and it's not too slippery for me (much less so than the other colours). Has anyone yet commented on whether the 8 seems better or worse than the 7 in terms of grip without a case?
Thanks.

Got my space gray iPhone8 last night. It has already vibrated itself off my nightstand twice. The glass back slides like a air hockey table on any typical flat surface. Feels very slick in the hand too. I will definitely be putting a rubberized cover on.
[doublepost=1506531340][/doublepost]
The glass back should provide great stiction. Still dropping will be hard on the glass, does not matter how hard Apple says it is. If scratch resistant, it going to shatter.

The glass back is much more slippery than the aluminum case.

Reactions: nwlaurie

GeoffR86

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
I find my 8+ noticeably easier to grip than my 6S+. I think this is because of the combination of glass back and metal sides, as opposed to the continuous metal enclosure of the 6S+. The seam where the metal and glass meet seems to aid grip.

That said the 8+ is still a slippery customer without a case.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
The glass provides a much smoother surface than the aluminum backing, and therefore increases the surface contact area. The new iPhone 8 provides much more grip than the old devices; similar to the Jet Black iPhone of last year.

When wet, however, it is a different story.

Tobermoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks.

I don't have a comparison to the 7, but I felt the 8+ was slippery. Much more than what I am comfortable with.

I dropped it and got a subtle but to me glaring little scar on it straight away :(

I then went out and got a bulky case mostly because I am a klutz in general, but partially because the 8+ just felt ever so slightly unsafe to pick up. I actually prefer the case to the feel of the slim very wide phone unencased.

Reactions: leahye19

Slicklx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
I think my 8 Plus has much more grip than my 7 Plus. Feels much better in the hand. Gonna try and use it naked for a little while and see how that goes. Love the feel and color of the space grey

Last edited:

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
I went from 6+ to 8+ and definitely find it slippery and concerning with the extra weight too.

I have the Spigen Thin Fit case on order which will reduce the slippery issue.

Reactions: Tobermoon

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
In my hand it feels not slippery, but a nice grip. Definitely stickier than the aluminum. But on any surface it's like it's covered in butter. It's fallen off my nightstand like 5 times now, and pretty much any other hard surface. It's super slippery basically anywhere except in your hand

alexnetworking

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
In my hand it feels not slippery, but a nice grip. Definitely stickier than the aluminum. But on any surface it's like it's covered in butter. It's fallen off my nightstand like 5 times now, and pretty much any other hard surface. It's super slippery basically anywhere except in your hand

I agree. I always go out to dinner and sit my phone on my wallet. It falls off every time now. At work I also have issues with it sliding off my desk or off my laptop. My 8 is super slick!

lukekeast

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
I agree. I always go out to dinner and sit my phone on my wallet. It falls off every time now. At work I also have issues with it sliding off my desk or off my laptop. My 8 is super slick!

Absolutely agree with both of these comments.

Fine in the hand, but if you want to test whether a surface is completely flat, simply place your iPhone 8 on top and wait until it slips off. I am astounded at how easily it slips off of surfaces that appear to be flat and on almost any material.

I won’t put a case on because it’s too heavy already.

It’s a real shame - between the weight, poorer battery life when listening to music and the lack of headphone jack, I can’t believe I’m saying it, but it’s the first time I’ve ever regretted an Apple purchase and I’ve been with them since my first PowerBook in the 90s. Very sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.