Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ava*

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
Germany
:eek: My 8 Plus is still in one piece thankfully, but I never leave it on the charger over night, as a precaution, because I anticipated reports like this. Fingers crossed that it's just isolated incidents.

Reactions: bevsb2

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Defects happen, it's also still to early to tell how widespread of a problem this is. Guess we shall see in the coming months.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
That doesn't even look like the 8, it has the white colored antenna band. Doesn't the silver 8 have a silverish antenna band?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Fake news. Photo shopped and planted by Samsung. Apple can do no wrong.

Or maybe some of us need something more than two sketchy posts on Twitter as evidence?

It looks like they just popped the screen out with a pry tool. And we don’t even know if these are actually iPhone 8s because neither of them show the back of the phones.

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
That doesn't even look like the 8, it has the white colored antenna band. Doesn't the silver 8 have a silverish antenna band?
Not only that, but one of the owners referred to her phone as the "Rose Gold iPhone 8 Plus." There is no Rose Gold iPhone 8.

Reactions: BeeGood

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
No problems here, and I've been charging using both lightning cable and Samsung wireless charging pad (no, not at the same time ;))

Not only that, but one of the owners referred to her phone as the "Rose Gold iPhone 8 Plus." There is no Rose Gold iPhone 8.

Plenty of dumb people get that wrong, I'm not sure if it means anything - get on Craigslist for 30 seconds and some halfwit will be selling their "Rose Gold iPhone 7" but it's actually Gold.

This is probably fake but I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

Reactions: BeeGood

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Looks like it is probably fake - I have my doubts.

The phone has been out for a week, with millions of units sold, and just two random cases in Asia?

Something doesn’t smell right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
That's what warranties are for. These phones are mass produced and mistakes during manufacture can and will happen on occasion.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well it's just two phones so far. It is a bit concerning that one of the suppliers is the same supplier for the Note 7 but supposedly it was the design and not the battery responsible for the battery failures.

However, we now have a new internal design for the iPhone, too with the wireless charging coil stuffed in there. So who knows. We shall see.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well it's just two phones so far. It is a bit concerning that one of the suppliers is the same supplier for the Note 7 but supposedly it was the design and not the battery responsible for the battery failures.

However, we now have a new internal design for the iPhone, too with the wireless charging coil stuffed in there. So who knows. We shall see.

Design, rushing, and new tech could be reason to blame. I think we could see a recall.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
If these claims are substantiated, and if the batteries are found to be faulty, and they’re from the same manufacturer (particularly the same batch) and more incidents continue to occur, then yes, a recall is likely to happen.

Until then, these claims are unsubstantiated and there are only two claims out of millions of units in use; perfectly normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.