iphone 8? ten year anniversary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hkdude97, Sep 16, 2016.

1. hkdude97 macrumors newbie

do you guys suspect that they're really going straight to the iphone 8 next year and not a iphone 7s? Every reviewer is saying they're doing the OLED screen next year, is there any truth to that? and do you think they'll really do something special for the tenth anniversary? I might have to cancel my order if there's enough speculation that next year really will bring huge changes

2. Stormclouds macrumors member

Stormclouds

Did you order a 7 Plus 128GB in Matte Black on AT&T?

If so, then yes. Go ahead and cancel because there will be massive changes next year. ;)

3. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Meh, by the time the iPhone 8 drops...iPhone 9 rumors will be heating up and that'll be the phone to get. I say get the 7 and enjoy it. If the 8 ends up being the second coming of Beyoncé, then (if the funds allow) get it.

With technology, waiting for the newest pretty much means you'll be waiting forever. There's always something coming down the pipeline.

Now if your order is the Jet Black 128gb + on VZDub, then cancel. Maybe my phone will get here quicker :D

4. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

My information is that there will be 3 Models Same as there are 3 Models or Computers and 3 Models of Laptops and 3 Models of iPads.

iPhone 8 4.7 inch finally 1080p
    iPhone 8 Plus 5.5 1440p display other improvements
    and

iPhone 8 Pro 5.7 1440p OLED display (that they purchased from Samsung) And No Home Button Apple has a patent to include a finger print sensor into the display. Smart Connector aka wireless charging Which The iPad Pros already has.
    Home Button is part of the Display and Changes colors etc. Drool feature. Smooth But Taptically vibrates when it senses your finger is there

and a Very Limited Ceramic 10th Anniversary Edition Comemerative Steve Jobs version with Luxury packaging and very hard to get.

So if you thought getting a 7 Plus this year try getting a 8 Pro or 10th Anniversary Edition in 2017.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

We'll know in about 11 months.

6. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Personally I think it will look the same but have a upgraded screen. Wireless charging. Better battery and processor. Camera of course. The home button would stay the same as it is right now. I don't see Apple investing money on this home button to scrap it a year later. Why bother then. But it should be a nice upgrade for sure. If your always waiting for the best phone you'll be waiting forever. Just get what you like and love it.

7. max2 macrumors 68000

I myself am waiting for the iPhone 8!

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

9. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I get what your saying. But from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to invest money to research and develop a product just to "condition" users for one year. Wouldn't make sense as it is a waste of money. And what about all those people who didn't get the 7 model. They wouldn't be conditioned. My opinion. We will see what happens. And all these rumors are actually pointless to listen to right now. Look how many we had leading up to the release of the 7 and the overwhelmingly majority of them were dead wrong. We will see next year.

10. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

The 'solid state' home button will migrate down to the SE and less than whatever they end up calling the pro.

11. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

The 8 is going to be AMAZING. Not wasting my money on the 7 lol. That OLED screen!!!

12. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

I'm waiting for the iPhone 8 myself. Coming from the iPhone 6s Plus I found nothing new and exciting on the iPhone 7 Plus so I canceled my order. My Lady has an iPhone 7 Plus and I prefer my Note 7's display and camera. Plus I still need that audio jack.... Hoping the iPhone 8 is impressive.

13. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Samsung will be on model 8 next year so Apple won't like the impression that it's still playing catch up with 7S so going 8 would make more sense or better yet call it the iPhone 10th Anniversary Edition.

14. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Or get both? Upgrading every year isn't hard, besides its rumor that points to 2018

15. HighTechToid macrumors member

HighTechToid

Given that they rocked the same design for 3 years in a row it's very likely we will see a redesign next year. 4 years same design is pushing it too far and they'd continue to have sales declines if they pulled that off. Even not considering rumors it just seems like this year was very much just apple trying to add as much as they could to the current platform to make it seem like a huge upgrade while really just buying time and setting themselves up for next year. Apple is also very sentimental and there's no way they don't do a redesign for 10th year. Now the only thing I doubt are rumors saying apple will call it an 8. I think it will still be a 7s. They don't need to change making scheme to make a big deal about it.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's no way they'll give it a different form factor and still call it the 7s.

17. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Just to echo a previous poster here. We will know in 11-12 months time. Lol

18. Deeds500 macrumors regular

I read somewhere that it could be called iPhone X.

19. immx macrumors member

immx

Personally I think we will see iPhone 7s & iPhone 7s plus AND a special iPhone 'edition' (possibly iPhone pro) which will have the OLED and a ceramic & glass case etc.

The problem will be the price point for it. If you look at the watch, the ceramic edition is around $900 over and above the price of the normal series 2.

If I'm right, then the 7s/7s+ will be the same price as the current 7/7+ but the edition will be $1300-1500!!!!!!!!!!

20. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Like others have said I think we'll see an iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s+ following the standard year-on-year updates and then an iPhone X or iPhone Pro as a high end device which includes a lot of the rumoured features that didn't make the cut for this years iPhone 7 (OLED screen, wireless charging, iPad Pro "smart connector", further camera improvements to name a few). Although I don't see this marking the end of the home button, the investment in the new technology for this years iPhone 7 will have been wasted if they only use it for a year, I think it's here to stay... or at least for the next few iterations of the iPhone (we'll most likely see it adopted across the iPad range in their next update).

21. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

22. cynics macrumors G4

Be curious to see an iPhone with an OLED. They got quite a bit of work on their hands if we use Apples current OLED as a point of reference.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's why there won't be a ceramic iPhone, not to mention that we haven't gotten any actual rumors suggesting a ceramic iPhone. It's just some forum members' pipe dream.

On the other hand, we have gotten actual rumors pointing to glass body, OLED, and no dedicated home button in the 2017 iPhone (in which case it won't be called the 7s/7s+ as it's a new form factor). These rumors form the basis of http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/ There may, however, be three models - one OLED and two standard (perhaps iPhone 8, 7s and 7s+).

24. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

I think next year will be the iPhone 7S. I don't see Apple changing their cycle.