Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Hi All,

I have an iPhone 8 operating under iOS 11.1. I am using this phone with Verizon service. For some reason the phone loses LTE connection and goes 3G. In order to restore an LTE connection I must re-boot the telephone.

I was formerly an ATT customer and new to Verizon. My previous telephone was a iPhone 6S and do not recall this behavior. I have searched this issue and found that it was discussed with Verizon and the iPhone 7. The work around was to toggle Airplane Mode. I have found no reference with to this issue with the iPhone 8.

I have discussed with Apple and they claimed they have not heard of this problem. They offered a work around of turning of simultaneous LTE Voice and Data. This is not a option for me.

Is anyone else experiencing loss of LTE and having to reboot/toggle Airplane mode with their iPhone 8? If so is this a Verizon, Apple, or a case of iPhone 8 not playing well with Verizon simultaneous LTE voice/data.

Don Barar

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Could be a few different things:

How's Verizon's coverage on LTE in your area, do you have full bars when this is happening? Download the Coverage Map app from the app store developed by root metrics and check their coverage for your area.

Could also be a bad antenna in your phone.

Finally, could be a software glitch that could be fixed by restore network settings or a full restore of the phone.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Hi All,

Answers to questions:
  • Data and Voice Enabled: Yes. I need this functionality.
  • LTE Coverage. Three and four bars.
  • Reset the network. I had the LTE drop out on me day 1. Called Verizon and they had me re-set the network. That solved it for awhile. However, this week and yesterday have been bad with numerous drops in LTE.
Don Barar

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Have you gone to Settings --> General --> About to see if it prompts for a Carrier services update? I'm on AT&T and when I installed 11.1, it bumped carrier services to 30.0. Then I went into the About page and it popped up to install 30.1. I believe all US carriers are (usually) on the same Carrier services version, so Verizon should have 30.1 as well.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 27, 2014
Hi Archvile,

I received a carrier service update late yesterday afternoon. Just checked it at your request and it shows 30.1. I will check today to see if this changed my issues with loss of LTE.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Don Barar

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.