Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
hi, still undecided whether I will buy ip8 or ip8 plus.

In general, I do prefer ip 8 and only thing that can change my decision is camera - let me elaborate: iphone is my only camera so picture quality is one of the most important parameters. I do understand that dual camera gives you optical zoom and portrait mode - none of these is important to me BUT what about overall picture quality? Does dual camera improve pictures in general or is it really just about those 2 features mentoined above?

Or, do you know any comprehensive test of 8 and 8 plus camera that would give me answers to my question?

Thx in advance.

Last edited:

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know about the 8. I have been very pleased with travel photography on the 8 Plus.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Very little difference. Both cameras are operating at the highest levels.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Get the 8 plus. Unless you absolutely can’t stand using a larger phone, the extra $100 buys you a better overall device. At $699, the 8 is overpriced.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Get the 8 plus. Unless you absolutely can’t stand using a larger phone, the extra $100 buys you a better overall device. At $699, the 8 is overpriced.
Thx, it is not about price, it is all about features I prefer. Had 6s plus and gladly swapped it for regular 7 after 1 year - been tired by how big it was (really liked display, but it was not managable by one hand and so on....).

So, if 8 plus camera is not significantly better (dont care about portrait and zoom), I will definitely choose regular 8. And no, ip x is not an option, dont want face id and display using pwm.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Thx, it is not about price, it is all about features I prefer. Had 6s plus and gladly swapped it for regular 7 after 1 year - been tired by how big it was (really liked display, but it was not managable by one hand and so on....).

So, if 8 plus camera is not significantly better (dont care about portrait and zoom), I will definitely choose regular 8. And no, ip x is not an option, dont want face id and display using pwm.

Display using pwm- is that a fear from here or personal experience?

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Display using pwm- is that a fear from here or personal experience?
Did not test it, but historically I could not stand plasma flickering and usually hate any type of flicker (eg I had flicker free tv for at least 5 years and do not plan to change that). And dont want to use face id till there are any long term wide data group results about face id effects on human sight...

Reactions: thadoggfather

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Did not test it, but historically I could not stand plasma flickering and usually hate any type of flicker (eg I had flicker free tv for at least 5 years and do not plan to change that). And dont want to use face id till there are any long term wide data group results about face id effects on human sight...

Eh?! Human sight?! how’s that even relevant?!

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Eh?! Human sight?! how’s that even relevant?!
Maybe there is problem with my english (I am not native speaker:). I am not sure that thousands of IR beams blasted to the eye do not have any negative effect. Until there is any study confirming that this is not an issue, i do not plan to use face id.

But, we are little bit off topic right niw, arent we?

Reactions: 5105973

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Maybe there is problem with my english (I am not native speaker:). I am not sure that thousands of IR beams blasted to the eye do not have any negative effect. Until there is any study confirming that this is not an issue, i do not plan to use face id.

But, we are little bit off topic right niw, arent we?

Ah it’s part of a misconception. IR is a form of heat and falls within normal spectrum. It’s all around us 24/7. Sunlight for example generates heat within infrared spectrum. So don’t worry. This technology has been around for decades.

And from our birth to death we get bombarded by millions of IR lights throughout our lifetime.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If portrait and lighting modes are not important for you, by all means get the 8. You’re still getting the same main optically stabilized camera, the same slo-mo features, etc.

But if you’re coming from an iPhone 7, you are not getting much additional features. The only big things the 8 adds are slow sync flash and 60p 4K. If none of those are important for you, keep the 7 and save the money.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Even if xou are right, ip x is not an option due to pwm. So, back to the topic;)
Get the iPhone 8. I’m not a fan of plus size phones so for me the X was my choice but, the 8 was my other option.. Camera is going to be just as good as the plus or the X just without some features that you said were not an issue for you

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I won’t take away your opinion, but I think that’s one of the biggest advantages to the dual camera on the 8 Plus model is the digital zoom up to 10X. It Really makes a difference if you’re trying to photo something from a distance that you cannot get closer too. Sometimes I think others don’t realize how nice that feature is until they actually need it.

Reactions: 5105973

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I won’t take away your opinion, but I think that’s one of the biggest advantages to the dual camera on the 8 Plus model is the digital zoom up to 10X. It Really makes a difference if you’re trying to photo something from a distance that you cannot get closer too. Sometimes I think others don’t realize how nice that feature is until they actually need it.

Digital zoom is not really something I put any value on. It just deteriorates the image quality of anything. It’s better to take the picture in full resolution and then crop if needed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Digital zoom is not really something I put any value on. It just deteriorates the image quality of anything.

Value? Or simply an added feature nonetheless as an option. Regardless, I can attest that I have some photos that I would not have been able to reach adequately if it was not for the digital zoom, which I don’t think they appeared distorted or deteriorated at all. And even if they were slightly distorted, The moment outweighs every detail for me. At least by the conditions (I.e lighting, distance) I captured the photo would not have been possible without the digital zoom.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Value? Or simply an added feature nonetheless as an option. Regardless, I can attest that I have some photos that I would not have been able to reach adequately if it was not for the digital zoom, which I don’t think they appeared distorted or deteriorated at all. And even if they were slightly distorted, The moment outweighs every detail for me. At least by the conditions (I.e lighting, distance) I captured the photo would not have been possible without the digital zoom.

Digital zoom, in essence, is cropping of the frame. By design it deteriorates the picture quality. You’d have achieved the same thing by taking a full resolution picture of whatever you were taking a picture of and then crop later on. In fact that’d have given you better control.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I usually don’t use digital zooming myself, but even a modest 2x optical zoom in has often proven useful in my circumstances. However the OP states that’s not important, so, from what I understand of the camera specs, the 8 should do alright. It’s exactly the same according to Apple’s own web site as the main wide angle lens on the 8 Plus.

For years, the smaller phone was hampered by lack of OIS, but now that is no longer the case.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thx everyone contributing:) according to apple web site, everythibg except zoom/portrait should be same, but i found this review: https://www.fastcompany.com/40484502/living-with-the-iphone-8-and-iphone-8-plus and one of reviewers said:

“I’m more impressed with the iPhone 8 Plus camera, which I also tried. It’s the first smartphone camera I’ve used that captures scenes and especially people in an aesthetically satisfying way. The 8 Plus camera seems good enough to get at the truth of a place or person, or at least close enough to justify keeping the photo for a long time. I can’t really say that for shots I’ve taken with other smartphones.

During a Seattle trip, I took some evening outdoor shots of the Space Needle using both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus, and the difference was very clear. The 8 Plus photos were clear and captured the details of the brightly lit structure against the deep blue sky. The iPhone 8, on the other hand, couldn’t seem to deal with the light emitting from the Needle–the details were completely washed out in white light.”

Seems like plus camera is somehow better in general (maybe two lens system can better work with light?)

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I do prefer ip 8 and only thing that can change my decision is camera

I've owned the 8, 8 Plus, and X.

I'd say none of the above, for now. There are trade-offs with every one of them.

Best size: 8. Tradeoffs: Screen too small for some things.

Best camera: X because of OIS on both lenses (disappointing that 8 Plus lacks OIS on telefoto). Tradeoffs: Price. Screen is longer, too small. Other issues you've noted.

Best readability: 8 Plus. Tradeoffs: too darn heavy. No OIS on telefoto lens.​

8 vs 8 Plus camera: Interestingly exposure sometimes seemed a tad better with the 8 over the 8 Plus when taking same image in same lighting conditions.

Someone earlier said she was quite pleased with the 8 Plus as a travel camera. This just goes to show that one person's "quite pleased" is another's "quite unhappy." All depends what your expectations and experience level are. For someone coming from a digital point-and-shoot who views pics mainly on the phone, Facebook, etc., the camera will be fine. For someone coming from a high-end SLR or DSLR, eh, the 8 Plus is still a toyish camera crammed into a phone.

Reactions: dk001 and akash.nu

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thx everyone contributing:) according to apple web site, everythibg except zoom/portrait should be same, but i found this review: https://www.fastcompany.com/40484502/living-with-the-iphone-8-and-iphone-8-plus and one of reviewers said:

“I’m more impressed with the iPhone 8 Plus camera, which I also tried. It’s the first smartphone camera I’ve used that captures scenes and especially people in an aesthetically satisfying way. The 8 Plus camera seems good enough to get at the truth of a place or person, or at least close enough to justify keeping the photo for a long time. I can’t really say that for shots I’ve taken with other smartphones.

During a Seattle trip, I took some evening outdoor shots of the Space Needle using both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus, and the difference was very clear. The 8 Plus photos were clear and captured the details of the brightly lit structure against the deep blue sky. The iPhone 8, on the other hand, couldn’t seem to deal with the light emitting from the Needle–the details were completely washed out in white light.”

Seems like plus camera is somehow better in general (maybe two lens system can better work with light?)
Interesting results. It could just be down to variances between two production samples rather than models. I now have two iPhone 8 Pluses, which ideally should differ only in color. But there are noticeable slight differences in their displays. One is not better than the other, merely noticeably slightly different. As far as pictures go, it’s too soon to tell but in a few I took of my cat sitting in front of two corner windows, it looks like my new Product Red iPhone 8 Plus handles highlights very slightly better than my silver one does. The latter seems to blow out the highlights a tiny bit more. But I would really need to test carefully in a variety of circumstances with a tripod and very precise lining up of the subject to eliminate other variables and be certain.

Reactions: janeauburn

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
With the 2x zoom optical lens that means the plus and x will be the only cameras to be able to do the blured photo unless you have app on 8 correct?

I actually like the plus though it is large.
The x is the perfect size but the notch and the screen does not play well with some apps right now as of late.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Ok everyone, seems that Ill buy regular 8;) thx for valuable discussion/opinions.

Reactions: dk001

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Ok everyone, seems that Ill buy regular 8;) thx for valuable discussion/opinions.

get the 8. i bought the 8+ for the 56mm focal length and it's very underwhelming. it's not nearly as good as the standard iPhone wide angle. the 56mm has such a narrow range of conditions under which it renders good images. and if your style of shooting falls outside of that range, then you'll rarely like what it does. thus, i have an oversized 8 - which has its strengths (speakers, battery, roomy keyboard, etc). but i wouldn't get a plus size again. live and learn.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018

10 x zoom on a iPhone camera is like may as well not take the photo, here is one i took yesterday with my X of a Wallaby on the beach. 10 x zoom Great photo ;)

ZeWSxkiATeqX8wUwWa+POw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.