Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

george88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
Hi this is more just for fun since the iphone 8 and iphone se 2022 use the same camera and only have different chips, but does anyone know which one has better video quality, even though they both have the same camera sensor?

Almost no one compared them on the internet. I remember the iphone se 2020 taking worse videos at night and with indoor light compared to the iphone 8. Wondering if the iphone se 2022 can manage to take better videos than a 6+ year old iphone, now that it has the A15 in it.

What would be interesting to compare is :

- Video quality outdoors during the day
- Video quality outdoors during the evening/night

- Video quality indoors in a well lit area
- Video quality indoors in a badly lit area

Last edited:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
The iPhone SE 2022 basically takes the same kind of pictures like an iPhone 13. The difference from the iPhone 8 is "night and day".

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
The camera on the newer phones is light years ahead of the iPhone 8, not even close

george88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
The camera on the newer phones is light years ahead of the iPhone 8, not even close
if someone were to actually test the 4 settings i mentioned, i think you might find the iphone 8 may win in some settings, which would be funny considering it's the same camera lens but 6+ year old software

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
if someone were to actually test the 4 settings i mentioned, i think you might find the iphone 8 may win in some settings, which would be funny considering it's the same camera lens but 6+ year old software

Trust me, I compared the iPhone 8 with my iPhone 13 quite a lot as I still happen to have both. But there is no single case where the iPhone 8 wins. Not by a far stretch.

Reactions: Digger148

george88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
the iphone se 2022 and iphone 13 are not the same iphones i don't think

Reactions: N69AP

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Based on video comparisons, only HDR and contrast is improved for SE2/SE3. The difference between SE2/3 is indistinguishable in most cases. That's the limit of what Apple computational photography can do with the iPhone 8 sensor.

Basically, less haloing and better contrast at night. For daytime, HDR colors and if the sun is in the background, better contrast.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
i don't think an iphone 13 pro is the same iphone as the iphone 8

My point was: you're asking for a comparison between iPhone 8 and iPhone SE 2022. I told you the iPhone SE 2022 camera is almost like the camera that comes with the iPhone 13 (minus the separate lenses and some gimmicks).

This video just proves that they're almost the same. Which means you can just compare your iPhone 8 to any iPhone 13 to know what difference you're looking at. It's night and day, a huge leap. There is no single case where the iPhone 8 is better, I'm sorry to say.

george88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
My point was: you're asking for a comparison between iPhone 8 and iPhone SE 2022. I told you the iPhone SE 2022 camera is almost like the camera that comes with the iPhone 13 (minus the separate lenses and some gimmicks).

This video just proves that they're almost the same. Which means you can just compare your iPhone 8 to any iPhone 13 to know what difference you're looking at. It's night and day, a huge leap. There is no single case where the iPhone 8 is better, I'm sorry to say.
I see your point but indirect comparisons really don't prove much unfortunately. I was hoping at least 1 person on this forum had both an iphone 8 and iphone se 2022 but it looks like not a single person does

george88

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2022
Well i finally got an answer. It looks like I was right and the iphone se 2022, which is 5 years newer than the iphone 8, takes worse videos than the iphone 8. I found a video comparison site (gsmarena video quality comparison) which allows u to look at a frame of a video on different phones, and the iphone se 2022 has a much blurrier frame (video frame) than the iphone 8

test.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.