iPhone 8 wireless charging 15 feet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

Hey guys I saw something about wireless charging on yahoo. It said it would work up to 15 feet away from the phone. Anyone think it's actually gonna work several feet from the phone?

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

No. The tech for OTA charging is still years away. Not because it isn't possible right now, but because of economics required to scale it up and because of safety regulations from various organisations around the world.

Additionally, the tech you are referring to can only trickle charge a phone that is off from distances that far from the power source. There are limitations.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not want to be in the room with a device that can charge your phone 15 feet away.

I will just plug mine in.

4. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

I've Also read the iPhone 8 will have an edge to edge screen. Don't believe everything you read. Especially about the next to be released iPhone still so far away.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I wouldn't trust Yahoo for anything first off. And long range wireless charging is easily a few years out. But leave it to Apple to make it worth while.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

What? You don't want any more kids?

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Edge to edge is a misnomer.

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I used a Nexus 6 with wireless charging. It was terrible, slow, and superheated the phone. Anker did a great job with their wireless charger so it actually charged at a decent rate but... yeah, I won't miss it.

Something that beams wireless charging 15 ft away? I'd still rather just plug it in.

My idea of cool wireless charging? Something that looks like an alarm clock that you can set your phone next to (within 2-3 ft) that will slow charge your phone overnight while you sleep so you never have to plug it in. That... would be wireless charging that I'd sign up for.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

You've never used quick wireless charging. I have an iPhone now, so no more wireless charging for me, but quick wireless charging on my S7 Edge and Note 7 was faster than plugging in on many phones!

10. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Have you tried the iPad charger, it makes a big difference.

11. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

With the iPhone 7+, I only need to charge at night when I'm asleep, so I have no need to charge quickly. But I am aware that the iPhone can accept a higher amp input charger like the iPads or even a Samsung one.

12. DUIduckSAUCE Suspended

DUIduckSAUCE

I've been trusting yahoo with my fantasy football needs for years.

13. Relentless Power, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I wouldn't trust Yahoo for anything. Period. My opinion.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

You would? :D

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Wouldn't. Lol. Thanks for pointing that out. I blame my typing skills on that one.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

They report the same kind of news as pretty much any other online news outlet/aggregator.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I meant say to 'Wouldn't'. But you are correct.

18. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

I have used Qi charging for a while and its convenient and easy to just drop the phone on the charging stand and then be able to see the display light up from bed if I get any message.

If I could have something like your idea and then have the phone, watch and iPad charging without the wires I would be happy with just 5-10 inches.

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

This is what the goal 'realistically' will be. Anything under 2 feet from charging transmitter to device will receive the full amplitude wave and charge normally.

Once you get to distances of 15 feet/5 meters, there is so little gain of power received, it is pointless.

But like you said, I'd be happy with a device on my nightstand that can charge all my devices at once at night, without a need for special mats, wires or anything needed to be plugged into the iphones lightning port to receive the charge (like we have now).

20. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

It's just as easy to connect it to the port and then you can still use the phone and charge it at the same time. Qi charging pad is a gimmick.

21. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Not true. It is very convenient to use and easier to deal with than a cord. Additionally, you don't get the wear and tear issues with wireless charging like you do with the iPhone. My charging ports always get scratches around them over time and I'm even hearing about discoloration on new iphones because the lightning port is a very tight fit for the cables male fitting.

So, you can call it a gimmick, but it is very useful with very real benefits.

22. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

I've never had any wear and tear issues using any charger on any phone. I've had more issues with needing to put a phone onto a wireless charger though. If you don't put it exactly on the chatprger it will not charge. If it's even one hundredth of a millimeter off it will not work. Any type of charger that doesn't charge the phone and allow you to hold it at the same time is a failure. It is a gimmick. It would be more useful if it didn't need to be plugged in to use. If it was so damned useful more pho,amopes besides a Samesung would be using it standard without needing to upgrade the back and having to pay for the pad itself.

23. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

You have used some of the cheaper wireless chargers if you are having placement issues. I have the Tylt wireless chargers and I have set Nexus and Samsung phones on it without even thinking about it (especially at night and in the dark). Never once had an issue. Those that lie flat and only have a small area of coils are the ones that people can have trouble with.

And you are telling me, that you have never once had a phone that had scratches around the plug in after using it for a while? Everyone knows you are exhaggerating a claim like that. As for the new iPhones having discoloration issues around the port, I have read that on this very forum. I don't have that issue, but others have stated they do.

I've heard the excuse from detracters before regarding the "if you can't use it while charging, it is a fail" slogan. You, like all of them, miss the point. Wireless charging doesn't replace plug in charging. You can still plug in as needed. It is a convenience feature. It will eventually replace plugging in, but for now, if you still want to plug in, you can. But for most users, wireless charging is enough. Oh, and by the way, Apple appears to agree with me. Otherwise, they wouldn't be bringing in wireless charging, now would they? Call it a gimmick, but nearly every OEM is using it.

24. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a