Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurlyChulengo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hello all, I am a longtime reader/lurker but this is my first time posting!

With all the excitement and buzz about wireless charging on the iPhone 8, I started to think... Will it really be any better? Maybe I am not thinking of all the possible use scenarios, but wireless charging is typically much slower. Then again, I mostly just charge my phone while I am sitting at a desk all day. Where will we really start to see the benefit of a feature like this? I can see some benefit if restaurants, coffee shops, etc. start integrating charging into the tables like some do already for Qi, but I was just wondering what everyone else is thinking about it.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Inductive charging would be innovative. Wireless charging has been around for a few years, just not for iPhones.

Quick charging is something else and may be useful (depending on your use case).

I don't care about wireless charging. And quick charging is a low-totem feature for me.

But I have a 6s and I can still use the 3.5mm jack and charge my phone simultaneously. Those on the 7/+...I presume wireless charging may help somewhat in those cases...ymmv.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

With all the excitement and buzz about wireless charging on the iPhone 8, I started to think... Will it really be any better? Maybe I am not thinking of all the possible use scenarios, but wireless charging is typically much slower. Then again, I mostly just charge my phone while I am sitting at a desk all day. Where will we really start to see the benefit of a feature like this? I can see some benefit if restaurants, coffee shops, etc. start integrating charging into the tables like some do already for Qi, but I was just wondering what everyone else is thinking about it.

I make it a habit not to leave my phone laying around not even if on a wireless charger. My 7+ gets plugged in with a minimum of 50% each day so adding more charge is very low on the priority for me.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I for one would welcome a wireless charging plate that Samsung has, for our iPhone. Yes it's not everything for every people, but it is convenient, just coming home and plopping down your iPhone on the plate, charging it when you're not using it. Yes, it will only save approximately one or two seconds of your time from inserting a power cable instead, but I'm in for it

Reactions: Sunny1990

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Couldn't care less about wireless charging. I have about 10 lightning cables around the flat that I use depending on convenience and a dock at my desk which puts the phone at a nice angle. A single wireless charging pad won't make my life any easier.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Couldn't care less about wireless charging. I have about 10 lightning cables around the flat that I use depending on convenience and a dock at my desk which puts the phone at a nice angle. A single wireless charging pad won't make my life any easier.

I agree. Although the convenience is there with a wireless charging pad, it still requires direct placement and it's stationary. Until wireless charging truly becomes wireless, perhaps long range, then I have no issue with cables that serve my needs.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Agree also - but I think I have only 9 cables laying around and bunches of the charging square. Based upon my lifestyle and usage wireless just isn't that important to me.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Will it really be any better?
I use androids and I love it. I have a few of the wireless chargers around my house and I just set my phone on them without thinking about it. The samsungs have fast wireless charging, it is awesome. I can't imagine not having it now, it is so convenient.
[doublepost=1499297140][/doublepost]
Quick charging is something else and may be useful (depending on your use case).
I can't imagine living without fast charge and neither will you iPhone users once you get it.

Reactions: geoff5093 and ABC5S

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Wireless charging, no. Quick charging however, I'd love.

That said, I usually charge my phone nightly anyways, and the 7 Plus lasts me through the day and then some so neither one is really a big deal.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I hope it would be better. I've had the opportunity of owning and trying wireless charging on a few Android phones in my past. I was less than impressed. Not only did it charge super slow but it cooked the phone and its battery for hours and hours. Buying 3rd party Anker charger helped a little bit with the speed but the heat was still too high for my liking.

It is rare for my phone to get below 80% with my usage (I'm a light user).

As far as fast charge - you can charge the later iPhones with a 2.4amp charge and it will charge significantly faster than the 5watt 1amp included charger. https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-charging/

Reactions: Applejuiced

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Fast charging is 10x more important to me than wireless charging. The iphone is already capable of charging really quickly already anyway. The crappy charger you get with it isn't amazing but a more powerful one charges it very rapidly.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . I can see some benefit if restaurants, coffee shops, etc. start integrating charging into the tables like some do already for Qi, but I was just wondering what everyone else is thinking about it.

This is the key benefit to me, especially as the rumours are it's to be Qi compatible.

Oh and welcome aboard the forum!

BurlyChulengo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
This is the key benefit to me, especially as the rumours are it's to be Qi compatible.

Oh and welcome aboard the forum!

Thanks!

If it was Qi compatible, that would be amazing... I won't get my hopes up though - Apple doesn't seem like the type to open up its devices to a universal standard like that. I hope I'm wrong, though :)

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands

The last time I posted my arguments why I have an opinion that I am not so excited about wireless charging yet I got jumped on by a bunch of people. So my opinion now is: it's fantastic, buy all the iPhones!

But in reality I have enough reasons to not purchase it myself - wireless for me doesn't mean "it has to touch, it's just not plugged in on the device itself" but who am I huh.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
My missus is one of those people who is incapable of owning a charged phone so she is forever sitting on the sofa with her phone plugged in at the wall while she uses it. Wireless charging won't allow her to do that so its not much use. On a list of things I would like on the next iphone, wireless charging is literally not even a consideration.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I don't really care about wireless charging.
For it to be a breakthrough we need to have charging plates almost everywhere. At office, in the car, in hotels, at Starbucks etc. so we can just forget the charging cable and be able to charge the phone everywhere we go.
If Apple implements wireless charging in iPhone we can expect charging plates to become more popular, but it will take time before we can find them everywhere.

I'd rather have a longer battery life than wireless charging

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I only just got a wireless charging pad for my S8+ and I could not see myself going back to plugging my phone in again to charge. Trust me it very convenient!!!

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Fast charging is way more important IMO. My OnePlus 5 was at 42% when I got in my car, plugged it in and drove 20 minutes and when I got home it was at 75%, plus I was streaming music the whole time.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I’ve come from an S7 back to 6s and the biggest thing I miss the most is fast charging.

Apple needs to bring fast charging in as once you get used to it, it really is handy and convenient

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
For it to be a breakthrough we need to have charging plates almost everywhere. At office, in the car, in hotels, at Starbucks etc. so we can just forget the charging cable and be able to charge the phone everywhere we go.
If Apple implements wireless charging in iPhone we can expect charging plates to become more popular, but it will take time before we can find them everywhere.

Absolutely agree. It has taken years for all those places to have charging ability and it will take more time for them to do wireless and then "all" phone would have to use the same standard. As an option - OK but not as the only means of charging.

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
I find is very hard to charge my Apple watch with out an Apple wireless charger :)

I would almost be happy to just put the new iPhone on a direct contact magnet charger plate

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria

I always thought of it more as just simply plugging into the mains as we all currently do now, only without needing the lightning cable, we just receive our signal through a new "wireless power adapter" that is plugged into the mains? Then we're free to move around while charging within a certain amount (at first) of feet. I am not entirely sure how long range wireless charging works though, so apologies if that sounds stupid. It's just the way I assumed it would be implemented.

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I always thought of it more as just simply plugging into the mains as we all currently do now, only without needing the lightning cable, we just receive our signal through a new "wireless power adapter" that is plugged into the mains? Then we're free to move around while charging within a certain amount (at first) of feet. I am not entirely sure how long range wireless charging works though, so apologies if that sounds stupid. It's just the way I assumed it would be implemented.

What you suggest is cool, but I'm afraid it would work like the Apple Watch so in order to charge the device has to lay on a surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.