iphone 8 worth $150 more than the 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matamoris, Sep 15, 2017.

1. matamoris macrumors regular

I want to upgrade from a 6, and I'm trying to decide if the 8 if worth the $150 premium over the 7. All I really see is the improved CPU and the storage increase from 32 to 64. Am I missing anything?

2. gurase macrumors 6502

Also wireless charging and some camera improvements.

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Wireless charging, OIS on the camera. Also (allegedly) a more color-accurate display.

4. Miketsi99 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat, will be updating my 6 to either the 7 or 8. Having a hard time deciding for the $150.00. I can live with 32gb as I have 11 used on my 6. I don't use a case so i'm leaning towards the 7 as it will probably be less slippery but still up in the air.

5. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

I use a case on my 7, but I can tell you that matte black is extremely slippery. I think the glass on the 8 will make it more secure to hold it in your hand.

6. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

My 7 is slippery, I use a minimal leather shell case for looking good and grippiness. The 7 is a fantastic and fast device. I certainly would not upgrade to an 8. But from a 6, a 7 is a nice upgrade and if deals are out there then I'd personally probably go for a 7 over an 8 at full price.
    personally I do not care about wireless charging and dislike glass backsides, so another plus in the 7's corner. The cam on the 7 is great imo. So it's a relative question because we all think with different preferences in mind.
    TBH, I did go from a 6+ to 7 regular and love the upgrade. I don't think the 8 brings enough to the table but just my opinion.

7. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

Exactly my situation and thoughts. Flirting with an 8+ though...

8. Miketsi99 macrumors newbie

Noted Thanks guys. I thought it would be the other way around.

9. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Yeah I also second the 8 over the 7 if grip is your main concern. My matte black 7 is the first iPhone I’ve used a case on since the iPhone 3G. It’s so slippery (even more than the space grey finish of earlier models).

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The 7000 Series aluminum in general is slippery with the iPhone 6s/7. The glass backing on the iPhone X will have better contact with the hand to help with gripping and holding for most.

11. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

12. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I don't see paying $150 for the 8 over the 7. I have a 6s and have wanted a Plus size, so I'm seriously considering a 128GB 7 Plus, passing the 6s to my wife who happens to be completely satisfied with her slow 4S.

13. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

6. 6S. 7. 8.

Four years of the same thing. It really goes to show how using their number system subconsciously makes us think that we’re getting drastically new and different phones when we’re really just getting the same product and same design with incremental improvements.

That said, the latest phone is the greatest phone. But it doesn’t mean last years model is now bad. So the difference between 7 and 8 really isn’t as big as the numbers would imply.

IMO then I’d either get a used iPhone 7 OR go nuts and get the iPhone X. The 8 just feels like an Apple accountants idea.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Personally I wouldn’t bother with 7 to 8. They are 95% the same phone.

7 to 8+ or X represents a better upgrade.