iPhone 802.1x authentication

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by res1233, Oct 12, 2010.

1. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I was wondering if there was any update as to wether or not the iPhone supports 802.1x authentication. It's required to get onto my college's network, and they have said that they don't support iPhones/iPod touches/pretty much any mobile device. They also use their own certificate for authentication, which i have figured out how to install, but it does me nothing if i can't set up 802.1x authentication. Any help would be appreciated. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1.

2. RogersDA macrumors 6502

iPhones have supported 802.1x authentication for a long time. WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Enterprise, and WPA2 Enterprise.

Either you are doing it wrong, or your school is somehow detecting a mobile device and not authenticating it.

3. res1233 thread starter macrumors 65816

res1233

They use WPA (not wpa2) Enterprise. I know my username and password, I installed the certificate, but it still doesn't work. It's possible they block mobile devices, but why would they? A windows laptop is more likely to cause trouble than an iPhone would. If you know a reason please share it. There is an unfortunate lack of wifi settings for me to mess with, lol

4. res1233 thread starter macrumors 65816

res1233

I just checked with the IT guy, and apparently, they chose to not allow mobile phones and the like on the network. The iPhone is fully compatible with the network, they just say no. I find that dumb as hell, but that's the story.

5. Orion126 macrumors regular

Well considering most phones nowadays have WiFi it's cheaper for them to only support laptops instead of laptops AND cellphones.

It's a cost saving measure IMO.