iphone (80211g) on 80211n network and wireless bridging/extending

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brettatredback, Feb 15, 2009.

1. brettatredback macrumors newbie

Hi All!

2 quick questions:
    - if i am using an iphone on my (soon to be new, 80211n home network) will the fact that the iphone is 80211g only as far as i know, bring the whole network down near 'g' speeds/capability? I think this is how any client works which is why i am removing any other g clients off the network, so assume iphone would be the same....Kind of a pity given say wanting to use the remote app.

- I know the airport express can extend wireless coverage. Can it also bridge wireless to a wired client? Finally, how does either the bridging or particularly the extending of coverage work? Some mechanisms I have briefly read about within this topic can halve the bandwidth. Do you lose bandwidth if you do this, and if so, what's people experiences/results with it??

thanks!!
    Brett

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If a G device participates on a N network, it does slow things down. What I ended up doing was taking an old B/G router, using an ethernet cable to connect to my N router, and setting it up in bridge mode, using a different network name. So there are two wireless different wireless networks in the house, but since the B/G router is in bridge mode, devices from either network can talk to each other, and the iPhones don't slow down the N network at all.

The Express can also bridge to a wireless client. I thought I read that when you use it as a repeater to extend the network, it halves the total network throughput (as it has to listen for packets from the main router and then rebroadcast them). I'm not sure where I read that though, ... I'll see if I can find the PDF.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, the iphone will limit your speed, but only when connected, so the speed will come back when you turn off the iphone.
    Depending on your old router and how you want the new setup, you can always run 2 networks, I have a B/G and a N.

with the newer expresses (the N version) you can have it join the network, and then share that network out of the ethernet jack. with minimal impact on your network speeds.
    with the b/g version you could only get a signal out of the ethernet if you were extending a network.