iPhone 8G Back Cover/Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daze, Nov 10, 2008.

1. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Hi guys,

My iPhone fell on asphalt while in my belt holster. It scratched the side of the back plastic pretty hard. Does anyone know where I can find an original replacement part? I have seen some on eBay for $80+. Anywhere to find them cheaper?

:(:confused:

Thanks so much,

Daze

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't know anything about the 8G iPhone, but I imagine that Ebay is probably your cheapest option for the 3G at this point.

3. daze thread starter macrumors 6502

daze

It's not worth spending $100 on it just because of the scratches. So, live and learn.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it bothers you, is a non-original replacement part so bad? The originals are probably hard to find because they weren't sold as repair parts, and their printed to match the IMEI of the original phone.

If you search eBay for "iphone rear casing," you find numerous options on the order of $15. Granted, they're not original, but they probably look fine, and they're even available in hot pink. :eek: (Okay, so now I want one, and my rear casing isn't even damaged. :p ).

5. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

6. daze thread starter macrumors 6502

daze

That's absolutely good advice. After opening up my PowerBook a few years ago and installing a hard drive, I promised myself to never open up an Apple product. They are quite involved and never quite look the same after.

Thanks for the link. Though the original pain of damaging it has eased quite a bit. I still am in love with the iPhone. I find it essential to living a connected world. Love the GPS feature!

7. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

How hard is it to change? The 2g has loads of crap on the inside of the the rear housing.

8. daze thread starter macrumors 6502

daze

I know that I opened up my PowerBook once, and judging from that experience, I don't think I will ever open up the iPhone. So I've learned to live with the scratched up iPhone. Since I probably will upgrade to a new iPhone when it comes out, it doesn't really matter how dinged up this one gets.

Daze

9. jdstoddard macrumors member

10. eson29 macrumors newbie

the black plastic piece on the bottom ( antenn cover ) $24.00 iphone parts store .com

the matal housing is around $100.00 new and $45.00 used iphone parts store.com , PDAparts.com. but this part is tough to replace you will need a case breaking tool