Other iPhone 8plus to XS Max question.

joeybuckets

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
ZANESVILLE,OHIO
I preordered the XS Max paid full price and did sim free option. I have Att I’m guessing I can just switch the sim from my 8 plus to the new phone when I receive it and it should be ok

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
The way I understand it, even with the sim free option, the XS comes with e-sim, which means no physical sim. So you'll have to have AT&T activate the e-sim on their network.

Deguello

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
The way I understand it, even with the sim free option, the XS comes with e-sim, which means no physical sim. So you'll have to have AT&T activate the e-sim on their network.
eSIM isn’t even available yet. Software update later, unless I’m losing my mind. Physical SIM only right now.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I preordered the XS Max paid full price and did sim free option. I have Att I’m guessing I can just switch the sim from my 8 plus to the new phone when I receive it and it should be ok
I did the same, going from 8 Plus to XS Max on AT&T. Just an FYI, I'm hearing that you should insert your SIM into the new phone BEFORE turning it on. If you do it before turning it on, AT&T won't hit your account with that $30 upgrade fee that they would do if you ordered from them.

I never heard this....but figure might as well to be safe. I'm guessing when I went from my 6s to the 8 Plus I must have done it because I was never charged the upgrade fee from AT&T.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I have ordered the IUP Verizon version. Can I still remove the nano sim before turning on and bypass the $30 charge?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I have ordered the IUP Verizon version. Can I still remove the nano sim before turning on and bypass the $30 charge?
From what I have read you need to order the SIM Free Unlocked version to bypass the fee. I think all the carrier versions ship with a new SIM card in them.

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
On my receipt from apple it already shows the $30 activation fee that will be charged from AT&T. It says it will be charged on my next bill. And obviously I haven't even received the phone yet, much less activated it so I dunno.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.