iPhone a better handheld than DS/DSi/3DS? Surely not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glossywhite, Feb 12, 2011.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I have been a long time (20+ years) lover of Nintendo gaming products, and have recently got to play with the (new, to ME) DSi, and had a look at the DSi XL.

You hear a lot these days (usually from Apple themselves :rolleyes:) about the iPhone & iPad being a better and supposedly more prevalent gaming platform than other consoles...

You got to be kidding me?

I'm also a long time admirer of Apple products, but lately I have been increasingly disillusioned with the way that the tech world is becoming blinded by multi-touch & apps - it seems to be a fad that is blinding people, especially the devout fanboys. While Apple manages to pull off sleek, amazing looking products, they also continue to rinse their customers dry with pricing, and tend to fail to grasp the "fun" look of products that they conceived with the original series of iMac.

iPhone 4 for £499, to play games without physical controls, or DSi/DSi Xl for ~£140-160 with physical controls, a choice of colours, soon-to-be *3D* screen with 3D cameras (yes, it is about fun too ya know, we're not all pretentious David Bailey wannabes).

Given the choice of gaming platform, I feel a proper handheld console walks all over iPhone/iPad, without any shadow of a doubt. What would you rather hold; a slippery & fragile iPod touch/iPhone 4, or a console that has evolved over 25 years of gaming experience? Apple want to rule the world, and overtake those who have been in the gaming business for many years?

Bring back the fun colours! Breathe some life into the greyish, silvery devices! People want COLOUR in their lives too! I love Apple, but I'm fed up of hearing about iThis, iThat, App -this, App-that.

Cmonnnnnnnn! LOL :D

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

But the iPhone and even the iPod touch are not just gaming devices. They are also media devices and phones. This makes them completely different from dedicated gaming devices. Most people who play games on the iPhone and iPod touch could care less about full on games and just want ones that can be time wasters.

On another note, the game-pad for the iPhone and iPod has actually just been released.

3. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

My point is that Apple are trying to BE too much, and they sure cost too much. I don't like the thought of people "wasting" their lives on games; if you have time to "waste", you should be out in the open, doing something physical and/or constructive for your fellow man. You either game to de-stress (mental health benefit) and/or excercise your mind. Meh, it was just an observation that I wanted to put into words - no bother to me, who does what or buys what, just a little bit sick of Apple thinking they are the be-all-and-end-all of tech; mark my words, the iDevice phase will soon die out, not that I hope it does, it just will. Touch screen is not a revolution, but people perceive that it is, due to Apple's incredible spin power. I have been able to touch my Windows 7 PC since I bought it - quite an incredible concept actually, as I don't fancy the idea of typing & clicking my mouse, telepathically! :D