Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I'm going abroad, and I've downloaded some offline maps that allow me to use the GPS to pinpoint my location.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a cellular connection for the GPS to work? I know it's an assisted GPS, so cellular connection speeds up finding your location, but is it essential?

2. If a cellular connection is required, will it come under 'roaming' if my iPhone uses cell towers abroad to help pinpoint my location, costing me money?

I'll be turning data roaming and mobile internet off, along with 3G etc to avoid any surprise costs.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i cant answer all your questions, but i can tell you that you dont need data on for your GPS to work on offline maps.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
I'm going abroad, and I've downloaded some offline maps that allow me to use the GPS to pinpoint my location.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a cellular connection for the GPS to work? I know it's an assisted GPS, so cellular connection speeds up finding your location, but is it essential?

2. If a cellular connection is required, will it come under 'roaming' if my iPhone uses cell towers abroad to help pinpoint my location, costing me money?

I'll be turning data roaming and mobile internet off, along with 3G etc to avoid any surprise costs.

pinpointing your location via GPS satellites doesn't consume data
just turn off 'data roaming' and you'll be perfectly fine.

i always download some 3€*city guide app for offline maps before my trips abroad, works like a charm

once, in slovenia, i actually didn't even have an offline map, but just used a google maps pin to remember where i parked my car.
essentially used GPS tracking with the build in compass (but no actual map) to find my way back :D

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I'm overseas now, and can confirm. Just ensure "data roaming" is turned OFF and you are fine. GPS works as a stand alone, no need for cell towers. However, I always leave my phone turned on incase someone needs to text me. International texts are free (incoming). Well, more accurately, incoming texts go against your plan's bucket. In my case, I have unlimited texting in the States.

Outgoing texts do cost $.50 per message.

This allows me to get a text if needed, then find WiFi to call home (all for free).

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I know the GPS doesn't need cellular connection to work, but helps speed up finding your location, so just needed to double check it wasn't going to cost me anything (no data being used, but I know cell companies try to get every penny out of you and thought I'd get charged for my iPhone 'pinging' their cell towers!).

once, in slovenia, i actually didn't even have an offline map, but just used a google maps pin to remember where i parked my car.
essentially used GPS tracking with the build in compass (but no actual map) to find my way back :D

Haha, nice. I'll keep that in mind ;)

I'm overseas now, and can confirm. Just ensure "data roaming" is turned OFF and you are fine. GPS works as a stand alone, no need for cell towers. However, I always leave my phone turned on incase someone needs to text me. International texts are free (incoming). Well, more accurately, incoming texts go against your plan's bucket. In my case, I have unlimited texting in the States.

Outgoing texts do cost $.50 per message.

This allows me to get a text if needed, then find WiFi to call home (all for free).

Good advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.