iPhone Abroad [Israel] - Not Working (Other people on same network have no problems)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I'm a Mac, Dec 22, 2008.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I brought my iPhone on a trip to Israel and for some reason, it can't join any of the local cell networks. All of the networks show up in the carriers- but I get an error message of network lost when I try to join them. The rest of my family (or at least the ones on AT&T) have no problem however, another person with an iPhone 3G (I have a first gen) has the same problem. I don't understand- it is a GSM phone and other people on my network have no problem- I even tried reset network setting and taking my sim out and putting it back in- is there some sort of iPhone block?

2. gregk205 macrumors member

You have to call them and tell them to add international roaming onto your phone. You are supposed to call before you leave the USA. At least that is what I was told.

3. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

yes but that doesn't really make sense because i've gone to other countries where AT&T doesn't have service and I had no problem roaming there. Also, I found another person with an iPhone that has the same problem, however, interestingly enough, people in Israel who have jailbroken/unlocked there phones have no problem