iPhone Abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jer446, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,after searching the forums I still cannot find a straight answer about this.

I will be studying abroad in Florence for four months starting in December. I currently have a blackberry with ATT, but was thinking about getting an Iphone.

So what should I do about a plan? Most of my friends have blackberries and I usually BBM.. But I really want to get the iPhone to video chat with my family back at home.

Some people have said just unlock the iphone and get a pay as you go card in Europe..But others have said go with the unlimited international plan through ATT.. which would definitely be easier. What does everyone think?

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd get an unlocked phone. An unlimited AT&T plan is great for you calling your friends and family back home, but will any of your new friends in Italy want to dial a US number to reach you? It would cost them a fortune.

Getting a local plan is probably cheaper for you, too.

As to the iPhone: is buying a factory unlocked unit from Canada a possibility? It'll cost you a lot more, granted, but factory unlocked > unlocked for peace of mind...

3. pbateman macrumors 6502

From what i understated Iphone is factory unlocked in Italy by default, why not get it there?