Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hi, sorry if this has been asked a million times before but i'm going abroad for two weeks tomorrow and ONLY want to use the iPhone for the iPod function.
Is there a way to turn of all settings that may result in an unexpectedly high bill when I get home??

Like I said I only wanna use the iPod, thats it, no net/email/calls etc.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
If you want to just use the iPod features, no calls/email/web etc. etc. just put the iPhone into Airplane Mode (Settings - top option of menu).

All wireless features will be switched off, but you can still use music, video, camera, calculator, clock, alarms, notes and view all stored email and text on the phone.

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Wow, ok thanks! And I presume that'll work when on land right, not just in the air? Sorry if thats a silly question :D

bimbels

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
I travel to europe weekly for work and use my iphone there often. I don't put it in airplane mode b/c I use it when there is free wifi. My hubby and I also text back and forth (cheaper than calling) so I want to receive them as well. If you opt not to put it in airplane mode, just be sure to turn your data roaming OFF (Settings ->General ->Network) so that when you are not on wifi, your email won't sync. And don't use safari. I've been doing this since the iPhone came out and have never gotten a scary bill. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.