iPhone Accessories Legality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fbc 978, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Fbc 978 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    Im wondering about the legal issues one may encounter if they made an accessory for an iphone. Specifically one that holds the phone and does not tamper with the phone at all. If the product was marketed and sold for profit would there be trouble with apple?

Dave

2. jjlannoo Suspended

nope

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think you need to pay Apple something if you say things like "made for the iPhone" on the packaging.

But by all means, if you think you can sell it without explicitly naming what it's for, go for it. They can't stop that.

But it seems like a lot of companies have decided it's worth paying Apple so they can get in on that name-recognition. It's much cheaper than many forms of marketing, I'd bet.

4. ericg301 macrumors 65816

I think that in order to use the "made for iPhone" logo, all accessories have to follow a certain set of guidelines/standards and be approved by Apple (not so sure about that part).

5. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

If you are using Apple's dock connector then I believe there is some kind of licensing fee you would have to pay for. (Not entirely sure on this though).

6. Fbc 978 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wont be using the connector, its just something to hold the phone.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You just can't use the logo. You can certainly say that it fit's the iPhone, just can't can't use the trademark logo.