iPhone accessories sold at 7-Eleven convenience stores

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Knockworstface, May 28, 2014.

1. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

The local 7-Eleven stores near me have started to sell iPhone 5/5s lighting charging cords for $4.99. Wondering if anyone on here has used these charging cords. I'm tempted but I don't want to fry my iPhone. Thoughts on these?

2. briannaharbor macrumors member

I don't really think that it would fry your iphone, but check the brand on the box. like look it up on amazon/ebay. If the brand is reputable, I'd say go for it.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If the container displays the Made for iPhone logo, you should be okay. If not, I'd steer clear.

4. briannaharbor macrumors member

Also good criteria. But be sure to check online first. I mean, it is only $5, and I doubt it would hurt your phone.

5. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

I've bought car chargers at convenience stores before because they make them in pretty colors and some have rhinestones and them and such but mine went bad after using it for a couple months. Most my friends who have used them had bad experiences with them too but for how much they are (usually around 5 bucks) it wasn't too terrible while I was using it! Hope that helps!

6. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Speaking of accessories in odd places, while looking into a case, I came across some comments about cheap phone cases at stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx and went to check it out.

It's YMMV, depending on how picked over a store is, but I found Speck, Case-Mate and Incase cases for $10 or less.

I picked up a Candyshell Grip as a second beater case for $10.

There are also Lightning cables in the ~$15 range, which isn't an exceptional price, but better than paying closer to full retail at another B&M store if you need a longer one in a pinch and can't wait for an Amazon order to be shipped. But for these, the extra four bucks for a genuine Apple cable is probably worth it, at least for the 1m version.

I was considering a coiled Griffin cable until I checked out the reviews. It was $15, versus $25 typical retail.

Same for chargers and external battery packs. One could do better online with a little shopping in terms of the specs and value, but if a need arises...

Some of the brands aren't widely recognizable, some were, but it beats the generics, and I think everything had the MFi logo.

7. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

It will probably just stop working after a few weeks.

8. briannaharbor macrumors member

I don't think necessarily because a thing is cheap means that it wont work. Most of the reputable ones on amazon are pretty cheap too.

9. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Junk. Same crap they sell on ebay for $3/each. The break very quickly. Not worth it.

Get a Tech Armor. Lifetime warranty for $14 or so.

10. Zmanbaseball2, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iPhone accessories sold at 7-Eleven convenience stores

I agree. Get the tech armor lightning cable. I have 4 of them. Still work as new. Plus a lifetime warranty. No brainer IMO.

11. briannaharbor macrumors member

Just check the brand name on ebay. See where it is manufactured, and how much they sell the pieces for. If it's from hong kong for 12 cents a piece, you are probably buying a piece of junk

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Last December I found Mophie juice pack at Marshalls for under $10. My friends thought I paid a lot for their Christmas gift. ;) I just picked up a couple Incase cables. Also, Five Below is where you can find some good stuff. Every now and then Target too. I saw an Otterbox 5/5s case for $12 and a Rokform case for under $10.

@Op I've seen the same stuff in Pep Boys that you see in 7 Eleven or a name brand dollar store. Like everyone else said, go with a name brand. Some of these generic accessories imo aren't worth it because they won't last as long.

13. briannaharbor macrumors member

You shouldnt be surprised to see brand names in gas stations. They are all made in china, and sold in bulk for pennies a piece. Some stores just mark their prices up a lot more than others. 711 pays about 14-18 cents per thing, and then charged <$5 for them. Best buy and the Verizon stores just sell the same thing for $30.

14. imabella65 macrumors newbie

I bought my iphone 5c in December. Never dropped it, got it wet or anything. I bought 711 and other cheap iphone chargers. They get REALLY hot, and out of nowhere my iphone just crapped out on me. I think it's the motherboard. In any case, I really believe the cheap chargers destroyed my phone.