iPhone activation (AT&T) question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hah116, Oct 18, 2007.

1. hah116 macrumors newbie

Hello

I plan to purchase an iPhone tomorrow but I have one question before I open my wallet.
    I will be buying and activating the iPhone in an area code in which I do not live, however, I would like my phone number to reflect the area code in which I DO live.

I will be a new AT&T customer so I will not be transferring a number.
    Does it assign you an area code according to your billing address, or how does it work?

Thanks!

2. PatMack macrumors member

I am 99% sure that it is based upon the billing adress for the AT&T account you create. They may even ask you if you are using it around a different adress then your billing adress. Also, you will have to give your social security number for a credit check. At that time, they can verify that you are indeed, who you say you are.

iTunes account info zip code may be something else to watch out for. Make sure that zip code matches the one on your new AT&T account. (just to be safe.)

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

When I was a NEW AT&T Cingular...

customer, I needed two phones in California with 415 area codes, and I needed two phones in Washington with 206 area codes. It wasn't a problem at all, and I was able to activate them in a corporate store, and send two phones overnight to Washington for my son and his wife. Family plan was a nice set-up as well. I was even able to pick-out my own phone numbers from a list of five phone numbers. You shouldn't have a problem if you are in a corporate AT&T Store, they'll walk you through everything. Be very adamant about "what you want" and they will do everything they can to accommodate you. Just make sure you a "gameplan" and you'll be OK. :cool:

4. mets1125 macrumors regular

Make sure the area you live in has ATT service...if not and you always roam which will lead to a termination notice sent to you. I remember seeing this on a cell forum.