Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hi,

This is just a general iPhone question in regards to activating it as soon as they purchase a new iPhone.

Suppose one needs to Activate their iPhone with no access to WiFi and must use their Cellular Data plan to Activate.

Does this mean that they get charged for the data when one activates their iPhone by this option?

Of course, anyone can go and access WiFi anywhere now, but in general, what if there is no WiFi at all and must activate through the cellular data?

And yes, iTunes. That's another way. But what if someone does not have that either nearby?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Unless you have WiFi I would not do a lot on a public WiFi. Activation is quick and easy will not use that much data. If you have a plan where the data is really restricted, activation will be the least of your worries.

Reactions: ABC5S

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest
The data will count towards your allowance, so yes, you would get "charged" for it in a sense. It doesn't take long though, and as stated above, I would recommend not using public wi-fi.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
I was able to activate an iphone with Tmobile, AT&T and Verizon SIMs that have no data or any service plans at all, yet it activated via Cellular Data without an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.