iPhone SE Iphone activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by medesmet, Mar 31, 2018.

1. medesmet macrumors newbie

I want to buy a new iPhone and not be connected to iCloud. This is due to security concerns. Do I have to use an Apple ID to activate a brand new iPhone? and if I do have to use an Apple ID, does this automatically connect me to the cloud? The new phone could be an SE, any 6 version, or any version newer than a 6.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Your new phone will need to have a SIM card installed, in order to activate. You will also need to have an Apple ID (if it is running a newer OS). You don't have to use iCloud to store personal and sensitive information if you don't want to.

3. 960design macrumors 68030

I would recommend purchasing something else.
    The cloud is a large part of the 'amazing' part of the experience. You never have to worry about data loss. You can access your photos ( via any online browser, windows computer or mac computer ) even if you drop your iPhone off the side of a cruise ship.

You do not HAVE to use an AppleID to active a new iPhone. You may skip this step.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

When did Apple start requiring this?

5. medesmet thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2018 ---
    OK. Thanks for the replies.

6. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

7. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

This is false. You only need a SIM card to activate an iPhone, you can skip the Apple ID in the activation process and use the phone without even being sign in with your Apple ID.
    As you can see here at around 6:12

It's the same process for all iOS devices.

8. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

... only if you want iOS updates or access App Store and such.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I was speaking of enabling Activation lock.Also, new to him may be a new used. That is why I framed my reply in that manner.

10. 960design macrumors 68030

Pretty sure you do not need an AppleID for iOS updates. I believe Apple changed that last? year.

11. davidmartindale macrumors regular

davidmartindale

You do NOT NEED to sign into an Apple ID. During setup you can choose "don't have Apple ID or forgot it?" and then tap "setup later in settings"

You do need a SIM though

12. JackieInCo Suspended

You don't ever need to use the cloud for anything. I refuse to after the first and only time I tried to do an iCloud restore, it failed and said the backup was corrupted so I had to start new.

Many settings will automatically be set to use the cloud so you will have to turn them off. I got a new 8+ on Sunday and it insisted that it store photos in the cloud even though I used my 7+ backup to restore from and that was set to not use the cloud.