iPhone Activation Questions! Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stimm32, Dec 6, 2010.

1. stimm32 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    So I am completely new to these forums, so please cut me some slack. I posted this over at AT&T, and couldn't get a straight answer. I figured I would give it a shot here, seeing as many of the people here are much more knowledgeable. Anyway, our contract is up with Verizon on January 8th, and we are planning to switch to AT&T and get iPhones. However, both my son and my wife want iPhones for Christmas. So, I was wondering if it would be possible to schedule a port of our numbers on the 8th of January. I understand AT&T wont let you walk out of the store with an unactivated iPhone. However, somebody at the AT&T forums that they would give you a temporary number. So, if we were to get temporary numbers until January 8th, then port our numbers from Verizon, would we get charged an activation fee twice, or would they waive it for the porting of the numbers? Also, will they even let us do this whole thing? Any help is greatly appreciated, and as I said, I am new to these forums so please bear with me. Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can get temp numbers and then later port your vz number to your AT&T account. They won't charge you twice the activation fee.

3. stimm32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! Finally somebody who will give me a straight answer!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome bro. Call up or go to an AT&T store and they will take care the rest for you.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

No number change fee either? The number change fee is the same price as the activation fee. I've never ported a number, but I've certainly paid the number change fee enough times.

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

you should be able to do it

a year ago i set up my inlaws on my AT&T account and asked the numbers to be ported at the turn of the billing cycle a few weeks down. worked like a charm