IPhone Activation/Service Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i8hotdogs, Jan 31, 2008.

1. i8hotdogs macrumors newbie

Hello - I tried to search for my answer but was unsuccessful. I am getting ready to purchase a new IPhone that is like week 52 from Craigslist. I am already subscribed to Cingular. I would like to pull my current sim card out of my phone and use it in a new IPhone without Cingular knowing. Is this possible with a newer IPhone models without tearing apart the phone or anything else extreme? I don't care about unlocking the phone to other carriers since I am already on the Cingulat/ATT network. Can I activate a new IPhone just with ITunes with out Cingular knowing?

Thanks

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Nope if you want to use it on at&t without it being "hacked" you have to activate it via iTunes, and you can't just pop your old sim in it and have it be ready. When you activate it since you have an account already it'll ask you for the account info.

I'm curious why you'd want to use it without "officially" activating it, is it the data plan?

3. jeffmc macrumors 6502

just FYI,

if it's the data plan you are avoiding you can use the phone without it now, just call up those guys and cancel only the data

4. i8hotdogs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. The main reason is that my 2 year contract is up and I did not want to start all over again. I thought they also forced subscribers to purchase a data plan which I can do without.

What exactly needs to be done to get an IPhone to work for my situation, TurboSim?

Thanks