iPhone activation using Rogers in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Patchfoo, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Patchfoo macrumors member

I am looking into getting an iPhone in Ontario but I don't currently have a cell phone with Rogers (I use Bell). If I were to buy an iPhone, unlock it and all that, what is the next step? Do I walk into a local Rogers store and ask them to give me a SIM card? (not likely...) Surely one of you Canadian iPhone owners has gotten one before you got a Rogers account.

I know that one option is to buy a phone and then take the SIM card, but that's going to cost me lots of (possibly unnecessary) money.

2. DefCon65 macrumors newbie

I just walked into the Rogers store and asked for a new account. Told them I had a phone and they gave me a sim (well, for $30) and activated the account.

Simple........

3. Patchfoo thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks!

That's certainly useful information.

One more thing I'd like to know is if you needed to get a contract for the account or pay as you go or (hopefully) just signed up for a plan without a contract?

4. adamyoshida macrumors regular

You can do either. I did the same thing - walked into a Rogers store and asked if they'd sell me a sim card.

5. LSR macrumors newbie

Do they activate your SIM in the store. What about not having a IMEI # of a Rogers Phone? Thanks for the help.

6. kunaalarria macrumors member

yeah they will activat eit in store with whatever plan you want...and without contract (FREEDOM!! lol) .. ive done it a few times.. just ask them for a sim card
    the IMEI, they just put 9999999999 or something if its not a "rogers" phone