iPhone Activation...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robby C, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Robby C, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Hey all,

Sort of embarrassing that I have to write this because I thought it was a simple, almost thoughtless, process. But I got an iPhone for Christmas (Yay!) and I'm trying to activate it.

Now I have it all synced with everything and everything seems to work, except there is no service.

Do I have to register the phone first or anything?

I turned off my other phone and the iPhone and let them sit for a little. Now it says, "Waiting for activation. This may take some time." It's been almost half an hour now, how much longer? My sister is also having trouble getting the phone activated.

I read off Google that someone said they (AT&T) turn their activation servers off for the weekend? Is this true?

Thanks in advance all, Merry Christmas!
    -Robby

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

3. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

Yeah I followed that link to activate my phone through the Website and it automatically says I must activate an iPhone through iTunes...

This is getting frustrating.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry Robby, but this happens often when there is a heavy load on the activation servers.

No, you don't need to register. That is only to register you iPhone with Apple so that you get a friendly email welcoming you and it updates the Apple records so that if you go to the Apple store for any service, they have your contact information already at hand.

It can often take up to 24 hrs to complete activation on these busy days, has your other SIM been deactivated? That is a very important step in the upgrade process.

Dave

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Yea. It's because Christmas Day and Boxing Day are 2 of the busiest days of the year!

6. Robby C, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

No, that seems to be the key problem too (in my mind). Is there anyway I can manually deactivate that SIM?

Something else to note; in iTunes I wasn't even shown an activation screen or anything... which is what I though I was supposed to see. I've tried restoring the phone multiple times but nothing to avail.

7. idk456 macrumors newbie

I am in the exact same boat from beginning to end and this is very frustrating. You know, we spend hundreds of dollars and this is an awful first impression. I am NOT happy.

8. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

Yep, mine is still not working...

One would think they would have some sort of activation process ready for those who received iPhones as Christmas gifts. Obviously without having to communicate to someone in real life.

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

10. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

13. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Wait, are you still waiting on the "Waiting for activation" screen?

What happens when you shut off iTunes, Reboot the phone and plug it in?

14. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

I've pretty much assumed that, or that their servers are just closed for the holiday.

Yeah, I've expected it to take a while since early this morning. I'm just going to AT&T first thing tomorrow morning to get some screen covers and a case and have them activate it there if it's still not activated.

I tried that again, still to no avail. Thank you for your input though!

15. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

16. Robby C thread starter macrumors regular

Robby C

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes it does.

17. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As far as I know, they've never closed their servers for a Holiday, and this one would be a rather bad choice to close it on :)