iPhone Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yyy, Jul 3, 2008.

1. yyy macrumors regular

Will the activation process for the iPhone be done whether or not the customer buys a subsidized iPhone? More particularity, if a customer buys an "unlocked" iPhone will it require an in-store activation too?

Sorry if this has been answered already but I couldn't find an answer using the forum search.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't buy an unlocked iPhone. You won't have to activate right off if you don't get a plan. (I think) You can't use it without activating.

3. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

You can't buy it without a contract and in-store activation (in the US anyhow)

"Will there be a credit check?
    Yes, a credit check is required. Come prepared with photo ID and Social Security Number. A deposit may be required at time of purchase, upon credit review. An activation fee of $36 will be billed to your account. Two-year contract is required.
    Reduce your wait time on launch day, July 11. Visit the store where you will purchase iPhone 3G today for a pre-qualifying credit check. "

Source:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

4. yyy thread starter macrumors regular

5. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I don't think AT&T has answered that yet, but I would say it's likely.

6. yyy thread starter macrumors regular

OK, thanks!

7. Xiph0s macrumors regular

No it wouldn't but its still locked lol.
    Take that with a grain of ...sugar? salt? gun powder?

8. yyy thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's obvious that it needs an activation but I was just wondering if they'll sell the contract-free iPhones already activated or if it'll be done right before purchase.

9. Xiph0s macrumors regular

Your question doesn't make sense... thats the point. What do you mean activate?

10. yyy thread starter macrumors regular

I asked if a contract-free iPhone should be activated in-store, what doesn't make sense? I thought maybe the activation process is only necessary for those who buy a subsidized iPhone and the contract-free iPhones will already be activated but I guess not.