iphone ad "sequence shortened"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So I just noticed an iphone commercial with the words "sequence shortened" on the bottom. Was this always there? I don't think it was.

I think it may have been added to avoid lawsuits about the commercial displaying the iphone speeds much faster than they actually are.

Of course it could just mean they shortened the ad by removing certain parts descriptions of the ad.. but it seems like a pretty full ad to me...

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this? Thoughts?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's on the one for the restaurant shaky app (I forget the name!). It's the only ad I have noticed it on. They probably shortened the sequence because that app has a few seconds of useless nothing while it's acting like a slot machine.

3. swy05 macrumors 6502

It was shortened for 2 reasons.

A) It's a commercial. No one wants to sit there and wait for something to happen on the phone. They want things to happen instantly. It's a commercial. Don't show stupid loading times/buffering/etc. Get right to it and show the focal point of the product.

B) Commercials on t.v. cost an assload of money. How expensive the commercial costs to the company depends on when the commercial is run. When Friends was running, a 30-second t.v. commercial cost $473,500 to run. During the superbowls, one commercial ran for $2.25 million. So it's in all of the companies best interests to keep the commercial down to the 30-second mark.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They just shortened the slot-machine "spinning" animation. It usually goes for 4-5 seconds and they showed it stopping in 2 seconds.

No big deal.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Those are good logistical points regarding short ads, but they are not reasons to have the words "sequence shortened" in the actual ads.

Apple is very good with having simple, but useful imagery in their commercials. It's there for an important reason.

I agree with the OP. This looks like a reaction to the lawsuits.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think those are exactly the reasons. I remember numerous threads with people whining about how what they saw on a commercial wasn't even close to what they were experiencing in real life...and some actually said Apple should be sued for false advertising. "MY mail never downloads that fast!"

Does anyone really want to sit through a commercial where they hit the button, watch it say "connecting" for 10 seconds, watch it downloading mail for another 20 seconds, opening the mail, then downloading the attachment for another 10 seconds. That would be one insanely boring commercial, and would probably not sell much product.

The point is to show exactly what it can do, not exactly how fast it can do it. I think the "sequence shortened" line was in direct response to knuckleheads complaining.