iPhone Add Tethering? (without jailbreak)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benguild, Jun 19, 2011.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Honestly ... I rarely ever need tethering except occasionally while traveling. It's nice to have for emergencies! Yet, I can't justify paying extra to remove unlimited data from my phone. :confused:

Is there any way to edit the carrier settings manually anymore? I have iOS 5.

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

DO NOT GET RID OF UNLIMITED.

I hate myself for doing it.

3. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, why are you so against jailbreaking it?

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just because I don't need to except for this :\
    I like the clean upgrade experience!

But anyway, I might just have to sit this one out. I wish there was a way to crack the carrier bundle file or something. Or force overwrite it.

Funny thing is — I was traveling in Taiwan last week and on the SIM there, the tethering worked great. When I put my AT&T SIM back in I went to use tethering and even though the option was there and it was turned on, it disappeared shortly after plugging my phone in via USB. Yet stayed for hours beforehand.

Hrmmmm :mad:

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No way to tether without a tethering plan without the JB.

6. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to de-jailbreak after and retain the tethering permanently?

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

no

8. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

You said you have an unlimited plan but how much do you use? If it's not that much data would a tethering plan be worth it?

Your choices are to JB, give up unlimited data, don't upgrade as soon as new versions of the iOS come out or go without tethering. You're going to have to pick the least painful. To me, if you'd tether only occassionaly, I'd JB when they are released and not upgrade as often. If you're going to upgrade to the next iPhone than you can just deal with no tethering during that time and/or keep your 4 until a JB is out for the final iOS 5 and and swap sims when you need to tether.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There has been cases where people JB, installed a tethering hack like TetherMe to enable it.
    Then restored to stock firmware and once they restore from the JB backup their tethering settings remained and still where able to do it.
    But Im not 100% how or what they did.
    Give it a shot if you want.

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

Todays jailbreaks are clean, efficient and identical to stock. Just jb using redsnow, install tetherme, then hide Cydia somewhere.

Much better then "hacking the carrier file", which you would also lose with a firmware upgrade (eliminating your argument against jb).

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why have the “clean” upgrade experience and be hampered with what Apple wants to give you piece meal? Jailbreak the thing!

12. scarboni21 macrumors regular

I am one of those people. No idea why though. I used tetherme when I jailbroke my ip4 and when I restored I could still enable tethering and connect to my laptop.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

How does the official tethering actually work... does AT&T push a signed ipcc with tethering enabled to the phone? If so, can one theoretically extract that ipcc and then install it onto an iphone that doesn't have the tethering plan? Or does the iPhone somehow constantly check with at&t to see if it's eligible?

14. xcrunner macrumors regular

If you were one of the ones who got Handylight you have tethering. I have to set up a proxy on my laptop so it's not ideal, but it does work :)