iPhone Addiction = more leniency in Iphone forums ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lollicup, Dec 3, 2009.

1. lollicup macrumors regular

I've noticed a "general" pattern in my few short months here ( i was a lurker for a few months then decided to join one day while drinking boba)

I would like to see if people can have an open discussion about this in this thread

a) iPhone addicts only get a time out, but people overcritcal of them get banned ?

b) iPhone trolls need to get more time outs

I don't want to name people but that seems to be the case. It's almost like the moderators want drama because it draws people in = more ad money ?

I only see this kind of stuff in the iPhone forums ( well also the community boards)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think that whatever you are basing your hypothesis on is an inadequate dataset. Either you are here far too much tracking the every move of posters and their current status (ie: active or in TO) or you're just seeing whatever you see and coming up with some random conclusion.

Members, demis, newbies, iPhone lovers and haters are all subject to the same rules. You can believe me or not but I for one know I have contributed to this site and have had to adhere to all of their rules and when I did not, I faced the consequence repeatedly.

In short, your theory is completely wrong.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Wow. You research this? I thought I wasted too much time here.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Although this thread will be soon wastelanded, your conclusions/theories/feelings are totally wrong. The rules are the same for everyone. If anything (other than PRSI), there are more TO's in the iPhone forums. Also, those who get banned, get banned for a reason (like using language and insults, etc., over and over).

5. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

That's bogus. People get Timeouts not for being over-supportive fanboys but because they have violated a rule.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

False. No user has ever been banned for being critical of iPhones or any other product. As the previous posters have pointed out, moderation is not based on opinions, just compliance with the rules. There are certainly plenty of posts with praise for Apple products but there are probably more posts critical of Apple products at MacRumors than at almost any other websites.

Sometimes time-outs are appropriate. Sometimes people are simply expressing unpopular opinions. Report the posts to make sure the moderators review them.

The moderators are volunteers who receive no benefit from advertising. If anything, forum drama makes their jobs harder and adds to their workload.

It's true that posters tend to follow the rules more in some forums than in others. The rules are the same but the nature of the topics influence the types of opinions and discussions and the types of users who post there.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Take it from someone who has been banned, and has spent oh, i dont know, 1/8th of my membership here in Timeout/ banland, you do not get banned or TOed for your opinion, only how you express it. If you got TOed or banned, you did something wrong, enough people reported your post, and you screwed up. Ive never been TOed or Banned for the same thing twice. Every time I come back, I dont make that same mistake again.

A careful review of the rules will help you feel safer around here. Mods can and WILL get you for even small rules being broken, because thats frankly the only way you'll learn.

Dont break rules, you wont get TOed. Express your opinion, but do so kindly, and review your words carefully.