iPhone advice please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBH928, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,
    I am looking for iPhone advice, I have waited long to purchase this device but I got a couple of questions

1) How serious is the antenna issue? I got a feeling that people are way over-reacting. I didn't use one myself so I can't tell. If the issue is just to not put your finger over that tiny crack on the side of the phone, I guess I can easily do that not to mention I am buying a bumper anyways. Or is it serious?

2) One of the main reason I am buying an iPhone is that I want to watch movies on my tv with it, and as far as I know, there is only one product that allows you to do this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Compone...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280405387&sr=8-1

3) I want the iphone for its apps and media mobility, am not into talking too much, would an ipod touch be a better choice especially considering the high price difference? When will the new ipod touches going to be out?

4)Steve Jobs mentioned that the free bumpers is just a temporary solution up until september, which is scaring me, does that mean a fixed iphone 4 is in the making after september?

5) Can any one in the UK confirm if the iPhones from the Apple store over there are unlocked? A friend of mine bought one from the Apple store in London and came back here to asia , he popped in the cell phone chip and it worked no extra work other than cutting the the chip itself to fit in.

thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

it depends on who you ask. My wife who owns an IP4 and uses her left hand to hold the phone has no antenna problems. She is dealing with the proximity sensor issue, and that's probably bugging her and many more then the antenna problem. Many folks believe that it will be corrected with a software fix.

Would an iPad be a better option?

The antenna issue is a design issue, there can be no other fix to existing phones aside from using a case. No other fix will be coming for owners.

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

1) I would ignore the antenna issue, everyone is complaining about it yet they buy the iphone4. :confused:

2) Whole iPhone -> TV ordeal i dont know.. Why not just get a Western Digital Media Player? Its actually meant for that and works quite well.

3) If that is the case yes get a iPOD touch! Why would you spend 50-60$/month if you dont use it for talking purposes? And with the money saved you can buy that WD Media player.

4) No "fixed" iphone4 will be released. You know how much work it would take to implement a fix and release it in September and all the fuss they would cause with people? they might not necessarily change much for next summer.. Look at the 3G and 3GS..

5) Yes buying a iPhone straight from APPLE will get it factory unlocked. That's why your paying $700.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I am not paying $50-$60 , I am over-seas and I will pay full $700 for it to be unlocked.

If any one can direct me to an ipod touch vs iphone review I'll appreciate it.
    I am not sure if the only difference is being able to send sms and make calls. There is an almost $500 difference between unlocked iphone and ipod touch.

As for the WD media player, thats an option

but why get a WD media player, ipod, a cell phone , when u can have all 3 devices in one? less clutter , and I am guessing cheaper?

I am an apple guy, but would any one recommend looking at an iphone alternative such as the droid?
    It might be cheaper, work international, no micro-sim necessary...
    I am really a noob when it comes to cell phones

5. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

For the first part.. You still need to pay some sort of monthly pre-paid option. No? Also why would you pay 700$ for a device that you can have the same stuff pretty much minus the new retina display and 5meg camera for like 200$? Biggest difference is the calling which again you said you dont use.

Also with your initial read I didnt think you even had a cell phone as you said you dont call a lot etc..

So with me assuming if you buy an iPod you wont have a cell phone, that only leaves you with a iPod and a WD media player. 2 devices.

You can buy an app textfree or whatever its called and you can text even on an iPod touch.

I dont think you really need a review between a iPhone and a iPod, because comparing the 3G/3GS to a iPod only difference is the no calling feature and no camera. And you can even text using the iPod if you get the right app. Now you can compare the iTouch to a i4 if you want but you got the basics.

6. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

WOW
    the basic difference between $200 and $700 are just calling features and a camera?

When will the new ipod touches going to be out? I hear September?

7. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Yah dude, there is no difference other than the new display and the camera that the iphone can do over the iTouch.

No idea but my guess would probably say around september you would see a new iTouch..

I just know from using peoples iTouches they almost seemed to have ran better/faster than lets say my old 3G..

8. iSari macrumors member

iSari

Good thread, Good questions! :apple:

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I am not an Apple fan, but I will be fair/objective.
    This is a case of "Your Mileage May Vary". I would advise you to try before you buy (they give you 30 days, right?). You might be happy with the iPhone's performance as a phone, or you might have problems. A bumper should eliminate the detuning problem. After that its a matter of figuring out whether the reception and coverage of the phone is satisfactory. The only way to do that is to use it for a while in different areas.

I am confused by this statement because it seems wrong? There are many products on many other phones that allow you to watch movies on your TV. Some phones even have an HDMI port, eliminating the need any proprietary connectors.

The iPhone might not be the best device for this purpose because (unless I am mistaken) the cable you linked to will prevent you from plugging the iphone in to a charger to power it while viewing a movie. It should still work, though.

This is a little confusing as well. Do you need a phone or a personal media player? If you only need a personal media player/storage device then you might want to get one apart from a phone. The iPhone can do most of those things, but an iPhone will cost you ~$80 a month whereas an iPod/media player device won't.

No one knows for sure, but most people think that the phone won't be changed until June of next year. My GUESS is that Apple might probably start bundling bumpers or cases in the box with iPhones at some point in October, hence the Sept. 30th date.

10. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Thanx for the advice everyone

Looks like WD tv is what I am looking for

$500 in price difference just to be able to use and ipod to talk is extremely high

therefor I will be buying:
    WD media player
    new iTouch

and who knows, I might still have money to buy an iPad

Ipad+WD media Player+iTouch= $902
    just iphone4 with issues= $780