iPhone + Airport Extreme + MacPro connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mingus51, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mingus51 macrumors member

Hello,

My MacPro does NOT have a wireless card in it. To connect to the network I have a wired connection to my airport extreme (previous gen).

I have a couple of applications on my iphone (1password, iDrum, Cubase IC) that can connect wirelessly to your computer to control/sync/etc.

Is there a way to make the iPhone see my tower through the Airport Extreme? Or does my tower need to have wireless connectivity as well?

Thanks for the help

2. mingus51 thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

any suggestions?
    I'm not finding this on apple support.

Thanks

3. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Is the wireless enabled on the airport extreme?

try that and see if you can connect to the pro.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

In those apps, can you supply an IP or does it look for computers automatically?

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you have the Mac version of these applications? Just a quick skim of them seems to show that they require a program to be installed on your Mac to be able to connect with it. The iPhone App should connect to your computer through the network regardless of how your computer connects. I've been able to use my iPhone as an iTunes remote on my wired PC, as well as a keyboard for my Apple TV. I don't believe the iPhone can connect to a wireless Mac/PC directly without a WiFi network (but I could be wrong).

6. mingus51 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for your help. To answer some of the questions:

Yes. Wireless is enabled on the Airport Extreme. My laptop can get on wirelessly to the internet (MBPro)
    Yes and No. Some of the apps I can supply an IP but most of them do a scan for a wireless computer.
    Yes. I do have mac versions of the programs where I need it. But even the Apple Remote on iPhone won't see my tower.

If I'm understanding correctly, I CAN control my tower (wired/no wireless card) with my iphone over a WIFI network if I can find a way to go through my Aiprort Extreme. In other words the Airport Extreme will ACT as a WiFi Card for my tower which has no WiFi card in it?

Is this a firewall issue then? When I did the same process on my MBPro it scans and finds my iphone right away. When I do the process on my Tower it never "sees" the iPhone.

I don't have Bluetooth on my iphone or the tower and would prefer to keep it that way if possible.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Try turning off your AirPort on the MBP and attaching it with an ethernet cable to the router. Then do the scan and see if it finds your iPhone. If not, it's the AEBS. If so, then there's something on your tower preventing it from detecting the iPhone. I assume both are running OS X Leopard?