iPhone always thinks it's got headphones in, possible water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JosephDuffy, May 6, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    I was using my iPhone at college today, and a friend, very stupidly, squirted water at me. My top got wet and my phone took a fair bit of the water. He took my phone and wiped it dry. After, he was messing around with it, and I showd him GraviBoard (Jailbreak app). He shook my phone and water came off. I can't tell if it can from the headphone socket or not.
    Now, once I got home, I unplugged my headphones, thinking it would stop my music, but I noticed the icon was still there, so I paused it and used the volume buttons. At this point is started changing the "ringer volume (headphones)".
    I restarted my phone with no headphones in, and it still thinks headphones are in.
    Can anyone give me any advice as to what to do, can I fix it? I can't afford a new iPhone, otherwise I wouldn't have a 3G! ;)
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

As weird and funny as this may sound, I had the same problem with my iPod Touch years ago. Got some water in the headphone jack and it thought that it was always plugged in. I called Apple, left the water part out. They told me to restore it and it worked. How I don't quite know, its like once water comes in contact with the sensors, the iOS goes crazy.