iPhone and Alpine CDA-9856 (used to work, now doesn't)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrberni, May 18, 2009.

1. chrberni Administrator

My iPhone no longer recognizes it's been docked with my car stereo head unit. The story:

When I first got my iPhone, I was very happy to discover that my car stereo head unit (Alpine CDA-9856) integrated with it as neatly as it did my former iPod. I mostly listen to music in the car, and this suited me perfectly. anyway...

A couple weeks ago, my iPhone started crashing, then wouldn't startup at all, and wouldn't even restore no matter what I tried or how many different Macs I tried to restore it on. So I headed down to my local Apple store, at first it didn't restore when the concierge tried it, yet sure enough the guy behind the genius bar did something that restored it. Fine. I was hoping for a new one, but it works so all good.

It works just great EXCEPT that it no longer works with the Alpine. The Alpine detects it, and remains in a "searching" mode. The iPhone realizes that something was connected because it still gives the "Would you like to go into Airplane mode" message when I connect it. However, it used to then go into iPod mode with an "Alpine" branded screen and the head unit would then start playing music. But, like I said, the head unit never gets out of "searching" mode.

What manner of restore did I get from the genius bar that disabled this integration. I don't think I have an official complaint because I've owned this Alpine since pre-iPhone times (using with an iPod back then). So, I'm sure it not an officially supported accessory.

I am also hesitant to attempt another restore (in an attempt to undo whatever the genius bar guy did), since I never could get it to happen before when having the crashing issues.

suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

were you running the latest firmware on your iPhone prior to visiting the genius bar?

maybe an update is preventing it from working.

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

I think you have the same head unit I do if I remember right. Might I suggest looking into the Alpine iDA-X305? It actually supports the iPhone and watching a video of it in action seems pretty awesome. It's made specifically for iPod/iPhone, doesn't even include a CD player. I'm planning on upgrading my head unit to that when I can get the (hopefully) new iPhone this summer. Sorry I don't have any actual help for you. I don't even have an iPod lol. Good luck though.