iPhone and Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poke4christ, Feb 11, 2008.

1. poke4christ macrumors member

Jun 6, 2007
    Does anybody know if when android comes out it will be installable into other phones like my Cingular 8125 and the iPhone? I've contemplated getting an iPhone, but I also want to have android as an option when it comes. I'm all for open source and I hate how apple restricts you to using iTunes and locks down everything.
  2. samh004 macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I'd imagine support wouldn't be as easy as just copying it onto the device, however I'm sure a group of hackers will emerge that are comitted to porting it.
  3. AGSHender macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2007
    "Android" isn't installable software, but it's a platform and framework for developing the OS and applications on a mobile platform. What companies choose to do with it is entirely up to them.

Open source is only as good as what people do with it. It's going to be a long while, I'll bet, until something as slick as the iPhone appears on the Android platform. It's going to be awhile until we see *anything* on the Android platform. Is preferring to use open-source software really worth sacrificing usability and features--especially on a mobile platform?
  4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

Jun 9, 2007
    First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, I suspect there will be installations for legacy phones.

People are already checking to see what it'll look like, by running the Android simulator on their PC, and a virtual desktop connection to it on their handheld.

Android as seen on a Q