Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhones and Apple Watches could support multiple actions via NFC simultaneously in the future, the NFC Forum today suggested.

apple-card-via-apple-pay.jpeg

The NFC Forum, the leading standards body for Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, today published its first overview of NFC Multi-Purpose Tap. The technology, which supports multiple actions with one tap, is designed to bring more convenience to various NFC use cases such as point-to-point receipt delivery, loyalty programs, identification, and total-journey transit ticketing.

Apple is a prominent member of the NFC Forum and likely contributed to the development of the technology. The company first introduced NFC in the iPhone 6 and original Apple Watch, initially focusing on Apple Pay, allowing users to make contactless payments.

NFC Multi-Purpose Tap would allow iPhone users to perform multiple transactions with a single tap. For instance, consumers could make payments, log loyalty points, and receive receipts instantaneously. The potential applications are considerable, from retail payments to public transportation, where users could tap their iPhone to pay for a journey, apply discounts, and get travel receipts all at once.

Since Apple is a member of the NFC Forum, it seems highly likely that NFC Multi-Purpose Tap will come to the iPhone and Apple Watch at some point in the future. The company often adds support for new NFC functionalities, such as reading NFC tags and facilitating more interactions with a broader range of NFC devices.

Article Link: iPhone and Apple Watch Likely to Support NFC Multi-Purpose Tap in the Future

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I’m actually not 100% sure how this’ll work. I have difficulty having multiple tap-to-pay cards in my wallet (transit cards for different, incompatible transit systems). It’s virtually guaranteed to require new hardware on both sides of the transaction, which means it’ll probably never be ubiquitous. Back in the 80s, there was the problem where software developers would only ever target the base hardware configuration (games wouldn’t use the extra sound/video modes or memory new hardware revisions would introduce because it would shrink the market for the software). I kinda wonder, with how ubiquitous NFC has become, whether any new feature that requires new hardware will ever receive mass adoption.

AlphaTeam

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2005
I’m actually not 100% sure how this’ll work. I have difficulty having multiple tap-to-pay cards in my wallet (transit cards for different, incompatible transit systems). It’s virtually guaranteed to require new hardware on both sides of the transaction, which means it’ll probably never be ubiquitous. Back in the 80s, there was the problem where software developers would only ever target the base hardware configuration (games wouldn’t use the extra sound/video modes or memory new hardware revisions would introduce because it would shrink the market for the software). I kinda wonder, with how ubiquitous NFC has become, whether any new feature that requires new hardware will ever receive mass adoption.
I see restaurants upgrading their hardware all the time nowadays. So it wouldn't be that of a far stretch to have that tech just as a new option on new hardware.

Reactions: kc9hzn

Nekronos

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2024
I see restaurants upgrading their hardware all the time nowadays. So it wouldn't be that of a far stretch to have that tech just as a new option on new hardware.
That's probably the true in dense, high volume markets and regions with high turnover/fresh capital but probably not the case for the average town.

Reactions: sos47 and kc9hzn

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
That's probably the true in dense, high volume markets and regions with high turnover/fresh capital but probably not the case for the average town.

My entire midwest county is only 30k people, and average 83 people square/mile on the high end. The majority of restaurants and businesses have upgraded to tap-to-pay, often wireless terminals brought to the table. Fuel pumps are still way behind, though, and only one station accepts tap-to-pay at the pump.

They are probably not going to upgrade, again. for this new setup anytime soon.

Reactions: brgjoe and kc9hzn

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
This is a big problem with Apple wallet. I find it very clumsy and error prone to select the desired card while paying. I would much rather have an active card and select the one I want before paying.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Would be nice when I bring up Apple Pay it chooses the card that gives me the best cash back at that specific store. Also being able to use coupons and get rewards points would be nice

Reactions: Brandon42

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
some businesses have rewards linked to your payment method and could be the reason behind this
I don’t think so as someone who’s also seen this working at Jimmy John’s for a while it actually pops a message on the phone showing rewards accepted when I tapped with my payment method.

Actually found on their website:
Frequent Freakers™ rejoice, One Tap is here! You can use Apple Pay® or Google Pay® along with the Freaky Fast Rewards® Pass in your digital wallet to redeem in one single Tap and earn rewards.

Reactions: greg624

Ad47uk

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2023
This is a big problem with Apple wallet. I find it very clumsy and error prone to select the desired card while paying. I would much rather have an active card and select the one I want before paying.
Google Pay is the same, on watch and phone. Now and again it will come up with a prompt on fitbit watch saying, proving it is you or something like that, and I have to press the button on the side
Not sure how that can prove it is me, as it is not a fingerprint sensor. I need to enter a pin when ever i put the watch on or after a certain amount of time anyway.

Paying by phone can be hit-and-miss, certainly with a lot of shops still having the shields around the terminal from when we had Covid around. Makes me wonder if i should go back to using my card, which is not contactless. Well it was, but I stopped it being contactless with a nice hole in the middle of it. It will still work as a normal chip and pin card.

Better still, maybe i should go back to cash for everything.

I have heard people have the same problems with Iphones and Iwatches as well, sometimes it can be a pain.

I only use the NFC in my phone and watch to pay, I don't have any loyalty cards, so this NFC multi tap thing will be of no use to me. I do use my phone with tags at home to do some smart home stuff,

bernaferrar

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
it only takes 5 years for iPhones to not be updated anymore and everybody have the same hardware. Look how magsafe got popular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.