iPhone and AT&T micro cell question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by openendstraight, Jul 17, 2010.

1. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

I have terrible service in my home (not just iPhone, all cells so far), and my wife and i both have iPhones. I was looking into the AT&T micro cell, but I was told by an AT&T rep that it has to stay next to a window. My question to anyone who has one is: after it acquires a GPS location can it be moved? My router is in the master bedroom closet down stairs.

I have searched on here and sent PM's, but still no answer.

Thanks in advance

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I've never heard that it has to be near windows, and AT&T reps are notorious for being misinformed.

3. SexyBeast macrumors regular

AT&T reps a lot of the time give you wrong information. When I inquired about a microcell I was told I had to switch to AT&T internet service. From what I understand, it works best near a window, but I've seen reviews on it where the reviewer has it underneath a desk.

4. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't have to be next to a window

I have the microcell at home. Like you, I have terrible signal at my house. I got the microcell last week, and when setting up, the instruction said it's RECOMMENDED for the microcell to be placed near a window, because the unit needs to get GPS signal. My router is no where near a window, so I didn't place the microcell near a window at all, and it still worked just fine. I think the unit was at least 10 feet away from the window at first. Right now, it's sitting underneath my desk, and works perfectly. :D

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Unless you live in a underground where they are no windows and lights, you are fine. Near windows? Non-sense.

6. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I had problems with my initial setup. I had to move it right next to a window in order for it to get it's initial gps lock. After that I can move it anywhere in my house.

7. openendstraight thread starter macrumors regular

openendstraight