iphone and att will returning costomers have a better deal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajnittoli, Mar 21, 2009.

1. ajnittoli macrumors member

hey i was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal would be with a 3rd Generation Iphone. would att give a special deal to returning iphone customers or an option to extend their contract like they did with last years iphone.? thanks

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Probably not. iPhone v1 wasn't subsidized. So when you moved from v1 to v2, there was no contract issue to worry about.
    However, now there is a committment to worry about. It's possible that AT&T might offer a middle tier of pricing for v2 owners wanting to upgrade. But, I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

There wasn't a subsidy to worry about, but there was definitely a 2 year contract with the original iPhone to worry about.

at&t would make a lot of highly profitable iPhone customers very angry if they released a new device for a very high price for existing customers that wanted to upgrade. I imagine the phone will be available for around the same price it is right now for existing customers that want to upgrade.

We'll see when the time comes, but I expect Apple/at&t to keep the price about the same as it is now with existing customers eligible with certain conditions (account in good standing, appropriate plan, etc etc).

4. ajnittoli thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys im ecited now ....the plans and everything r already expensive enough! ha

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

There's wasn't a subsidy, therefore the contract was not an issue. AT&T was not losing money on the deal. However, since you bought the iPhone 3G for $199/$299 instead of $599, it is yet to be known if AT&T has made its money back from that.

I don't see why AT&T wouldn't make you pay a higher price for the new iPhone...