iPhone and battery wear level (help please)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ventuss, May 15, 2017.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

There are 3 iphone 7 in my house. Two were bought on launch, mine is the newer with 4 months old.

The thing is, I used a battery life app the day I got it, and it was 100%, and wear level nowi is 97%. The other two iPhones 7 are older and are still at 100%

I use the 12w iPad charger to charge my phone, the other iPhone 7 are being charged with the standard 5w charger. Is this relevant? Is the iPad charger killing my battery or I might just have a defective one?

Anyone here charging their iPhones with the 12w charger and still have a perfect 100% wear level?

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

It usually depends upon when you actually charge the device. I was at 90% cause I kept letting my phone die. I started charging my phone at 30% and I'm back up to 99%. I only use an iPad charger.

3. Gav.Winters macrumors member

I've never checked by battery level but I'd say it probably isn't a coincidence. Are the batteries different in iPad's though? If not then surely they would all deteriorate more quickly too.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

First off. That app is highly inaccurate. The only way to get a real reading is using coconut battery for Mac. It's the only application that reads real time mAh accurately. Been using it for years.

Second, using an iPad charger will not harm the battery. The device will only pull the max current it allows. Your iPhone won't charge at 12w. An iPad charger is not strong enough to significantly warm the battery either.

Battery wear is caused from a few things. Letting your device constantly die, high temperature, cold and charge cycles.

The iPhone battery is rated for 80% after 500 cycles. Sometimes you may get it to last longer or sometimes it may last less. It's also possible for an iPhone battery to start above 100% capacity as batteries are just chemicals. So it's possible the one with lower health started with lower health to begin with. Assuming the numbers you got are even accurate.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I really like posts like these... So much great accurate info.

@ OP - the % will fluctuate a few % now and then, that's normal and totally fine. If you do use coconutBattery, only measure the health AFTER it has hit true 100%. Mlrollin91 is right - the phone will only draw as much power as it needs/wants.

I've had iPhones at 104% health and after 250+ cycles - they were at 99%-101%. My latest iPhone 6s+ started out at 96% and after 172 cycles, is still at 96% health. This is all via coconutBattery. Turn off the battery % and try to enjoy your phone. Buy an Anker external battery to carry around with you (I do) if you want to juice up often.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I do notice a restart adjusts my battery level to a different level every so often.