iPhone and BMW's iPod adapter: question about texts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Feb 10, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

hey,

I'm looking to get a new BMW and am ordering the iPod integration. I know that the music plays through USB and even shows up on the screen and all, and that calls go through Bluetooth, but I was wondering what happens if I get a text?

For those of you that have this option, does the music fade and give you the new text tone or do you have to wait until you unplug the phone from the dock to see a bunch of unread texts?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I have an '08 X5 with the iPod cable/adapter and when an SMS or email comes in the music fades, but I don't recall hearing the notification. But you can certainly tell you've received some kind of message because the song will fade out and back in. I guess I never really paid attention to if I can hear the notification or not, the fade is much more distracting.

Why does it matter, you should read texts while driving anyway ;)

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i have an '06 X3 and i do NOT hear text message notifications through bluetooth or the ipod kit- only phone calls.

i do use a proclip mount so i can see the screen easily - any text notifications pop up and are easily visible that way (though i usually don't read them while driving, and never attempt to respond while on the road).

are you going to get the ipod-your-bmw kit or the new usb integration kit? i have the ipod-your-bmw kit and if i had to do it over again, i wouldn't get it and would instead go for the dice ipod kit. the bmw kit works fine, but i'm getting tired of not being able to see the song title/artist information and being limited to 5 playlists. i don't know how the usb connection kit works, but i definitely would suggest you NOT get the ipod-your-bmw kit, if that's what you were thinking of...

4. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't worry guys, I wouldn't read while driving. Maybe at a red light or I'd pull over... a lot of my comm happens through texts, sometimes plans get cancelled and I need this info right away. I'd hate to get to lunch and think I've been flaked on by a friend!

I'll be getting the iPod integration option that comes with the car straight from the factory (6FL). There are no limits at all, every playlist in your iPod shows up on the Nav screen, as well as song titles, artists, genres... it's almost like having the iPod screen projected through your Nav, except with a BMW skin.

Lot's of auto companies are doing this same thing. I test drove the Audi A5 yesterday and it had the same type of integration.

5. rayward macrumors 68000

FWIW, the iPhone will fade out, play the alert tone, and fade back in. It does this very quickly, so it's not always possible to discern the tone.

6. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome. That's perfect.

Thanks guys.

7. JMD123 macrumors member

Sounds like you need new friends not a new car.

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Mercedes have had this capability since 2005. It is really cool, no limitiations to playlists like th ICE kit.