iPhone and Bose On Ear Headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VaMac, Sep 16, 2007.

1. VaMac macrumors member

Does anybody have the Bose On Ear Headphones? If so is it true that you can use these headphones without using an adapter? I have seen pictures of the the plug and it looks very skinny. This would be great news so I can put my $100 credit towards it.

2. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I have the quiet comfort 3 headphones and the in ear bose headphones and both now work with my iphone. To make them work grab a razor blade and cut just a small bit of rubber off the end near the plug to make it fit down in the hole. Took me 5 min and now they work great.

3. VaMac thread starter macrumors member

4. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

What a stupid thing to do to this phone. And all just so they can make more money. There is no need for the recessed jack at all. Why did they do it? Now your forced to buy their adapter, or headphones, or take a razor blade and hack up you $100 headphone jack. And people say Microsoft makes it hard for you to use other peoples stuff?

5. VaMac thread starter macrumors member

i agree with you that the recessed port is just plain stupid and might be the worst thing about the IPhone besides no 3G. I'm willing to bet that IPhone 2.0 will not have a recessed port.

6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Actually, while frustrating because of incompatibility with oversized plugs on some accessories, the recessed jack is a very good idea.

The biggest point of failure in a small audio device is the headphone jack, because of strain from its surface mounting, which ultimately breaks the jack's connections to the circuit board. This kills the device prematurely.

By recessing the jack, it is no longer subject to the stresses of having a tab right on the edge of the device, and any lateral force applied to a headphone connector is relieved on the case of the device itself, rather than on the weak connection to the delicate internals of the device.

The L-shaped connector, in comparison, is an inferior approach.

7. jlanuez macrumors 6502

QC3s & Shure MPA

You cannot use the QC3 Cell Connect Kit either.

I have the BOSE QC3s and use them with :apple:iPhone via the Shure MPA.

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The recessed jack works great...it relieves the strain on the plug and cord (and the iPhone's connector). I must have replaced my iPod remote cord at least 3 times due to strain at the plug. With a million units and counting, every manufacturer will jump on board with new plugs and adapters and we will be left with a much better solution to plug and circuit board strain.